Chapter Two

"So you're telling me, that you went to a skating rink full well knowing that you can't actually skate? Why on Earth would you do that?"

"I'm bad at making decisions, okay?" Me and Bailey walked down the busy sidewalk. I guess everyone was taking advantage of the sunshine, or doing some last minute Fourth of July shopping, because people were everywhere. The smell of grilling hamburgers and hotdogs mingled with the exhaust from the cars. "Where are we going again?"

"Nice try, but it's still a surprise."

I rolled my eyes. "For all I know, you're gonna kidnap me or something."

"Is that really what you think?" Bailey asked.

"Well, no, but-"

"Then shut up and walk."

I knew he did not just say that to me, so I kept my mouth shut and followed him. Eventually, Bailey led us down to a subway station. It was just as busy down there, with subway cars loading and unloading a bunch of passengers.

"We have to take the subway?" I asked. "I don't know if I have enough money."

"No, we don't. It's just a short cut."

We walked along the platform, intertwining between the people and pillars. I almost lost Bailey when a subway train unloaded and passengers swarmed out.

"So, Jackson. Where do you live in Pennsylvania?"

I almost didn't hear him over all the noise. "Punxsutawney."

"Hmm. I've never heard of it."

"It's some stupid little town centered around a groundhog."

"A groundhog?" Bailey asked.

"Yup." I said. "You know Groundhog Day? Where if the groundhog sees its shadow, we'll have six more weeks of winter? The groundhog that decides is from there."

"I know all about Groundhog Day, I just didn't realize it was one specific groundhog that does it. I guess it'd make sense though. People can't just go out and find a random groundhog every February." He smirked at me. "I'm gonna call you Groundhog."

The nerve of this boy! Not only was it a stupid nickname, it wasn't even a creative one. I mean, come on! Anyone could have come up with that one! "Please do not call me Groundhog."

"Why shouldn't I?" He asked.

"Because I don't like it."

"Well too bad. It'll help me remember where you're from."

Another subway train unloaded.

"And why do you need to remember where I'm from?"

"Because." Bailey said.

"Because why?" I asked.

"Because I said so."

I glared at him as we waited for a group of men in black business suits to pass in front of us. Once they were gone, we walked to a set of stairs leading back out of the subway. Outside and across the street was the ocean. Waves crashed against the shore, sending plumes of mist into the air. I was glad we were far enough away from it to not get wet. It was starting to get cold and the wind was making me chilly.

The ocean water was choppy, and in the distance black clouds were marching landward. It looked like it wouldn't be sunny for much longer.

"This way." Bailey nodded his head to the right. At the end of the sidewalk, we took a crosswalk to the opposite side.

Bailey pointed down the beach. "See that boardwalk?"

I nodded my head and looked at it stretching out into the water. There was a ferris wheel at the end of it.

"That's where we're going."

The beach wasn't the kind of fine, yellow sand you normally think about when you hear the word "beach." It was mainly black pebbles and tiny grey rocks. It probably would've hurt to walk on if you weren't wearing shoes. It crunched as we walked across it.

The boardwalk was little compared to the other major ones dotted along the coastline. There were a few places to eat at, and a couple souvenir shops, with the ferris wheel looming over them like a rickety old giant. I could feel the floor of the boardwalk shake every time a wave crashed into the support beams underneath.

"Do you give all your friends nicknames?" I asked him. "Specifically ones they don't like?"

Bailey shrugged. "I don't really have a lot of friends."

If he gave everyone crappy nicknames like he did me, I could see why.

"Not a lot of people come here. They know it exists, but why would they be interested in some rusty old ferris wheel? Especially when there are the other boardwalks not too far away? I'll tell you why. Because this ferris wheel has a story. Don't worry, I'll pay for yah." Bailey added when he saw me reach for my pocket.

He turned around and handed some money to the conductor, then we climbed into one of the carts. It surged forward, rocking back and forth as it gained height.

"So what about that story?" I asked.

Bailey smiled. "Just look at it. Look at the chipped paint and listen to the way it creaks."

The higher we rose the windier it got and the more the cart shook. I looked out across the city, saw the glinting of the sun off the skyscrapers. Even at the highest point of the wheel, we still weren't tall enough to see over all the buildings.

In the other direction was the frothing sea, and let me tell you, it wasn't getting any calmer. As if to prove itself, a crack of thunder rolled across the water.

I turned back to see Bailey red in the face. He coughed into his fist and asked, "I know it's real early to be asking this, and I hope I don't offend you or anything, but-"

And that's when my phone went off in my pocket.