Chapter One

Mackenzie looks inside Uncle Charlie’s house, which is practically a mansion. There are many enormous windows and beautiful chandeliers hanging from very high ceilings in every room. Mackenzie likes it here, but she loves her true home more.

          “Come, children,” Uncle Charlie says “I’ll take you to your bedroom.”

          He leads the sisters down a grand hallway, and the younger Ziegler girl can’t help but notice the intricate paintings that line the walls. They are of people but are finished in shades of purple and gray.

          They remind her of Madison. Intelligent, and quiet, but sad. The paintings aren’t the type that you stare at for hours, but instead, they are just there, waiting for someone to unfold the complex layers. It’s perfection.

          Uncle Charlie stops at a large wooden door, “This is your bedroom.” He opens the door a bit and leaves the two to explore.

          Mackenzie is the first to run in. A large grin grown onto her face. The walls are painted in a light shade of lilac, and dark wood covers the floor. There is only one bed, but it appears to be more expensive than Madison and Mackenzie’s old house. A large bay window floods the room with natural light and a dark purple cushion is on the window seat.

          “Madison!’ She exclaims “It’s a princess room!”

          The older of the sisters enters the rooms and lets out a small sigh as she takes everything in.

          “Don’t you think it’s absolutely brilliant?!” Mackenzie asks, flaunting new words she had learned in school. 

          “It’s rather nice.” Madison replies as she pulls off her black Mary Jane’s, “Take off your shoes, Mackenzie. I don’t want to ruin the floors.”

          Mackenzie frowns but takes off her shoes; she doesn’t want to upset Uncle Charlie or her sister. Making Madison angry is never fun. She doesn’t scream or yell; she gives you a condescending look that makes you wish you’d never spoken to her.

          “Mackenzie,” Madison whispers “I’m going to bed,” She pulls the soft blanket over her head and Mackenzie could see the tears silently streaming down her cheeks.

          Mackenzie walks over to her sister and pushes a strand of her hair behind her ear, “Are you okay?” She asks.

          Madison pushes Mackenzie’s hand away and sits up sharply, “You don’t seem to understand what’s going on, Mackenzie. Our parents are dead. We’re never going to see them again. All those times you ran home just to see them…that’s never going to happen again. Don’t you understand?”

          The youngest Ziegler girl blinks back tears and slowly moves away from her sister. She understands exactly what’s going on, but she has cried her fair share of tears, and she knows it’s Madison’s turn to cry. Mackenzie isn’t the little girl her sister knows her as. She understands.

          “I understand,” Mackenzie whispers as she moves to sit on the window seat.

          She fingers the silver charm bracelet she and her mother had made the previous year. There weren’t many charms on the bracelet, only a few hearts and stars decorated it. She and her mother hadn’t put much effort into the bracelets, but Mackenzie still wears hers. It has more meaning now.

          “Girls,” Uncle Charlie politely knocks on the door, “There’s someone here to see you.