Chapter Four

"You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life." -Steve Jobs

Song: Other Kids by Before You Exit

Chapter 4

Tina's POV

'And I'm like yeah.

Everything you heard is true

Everybody knows I'm

Hung up on you

Oh- Oh- Oh- Oh- Oh- Oh- Oh

Yeah...

Tell them, all the girls I'm true

Everybody knows I'm

Hung up on you.'

***

I woke up to the ringtone on my phone indicating somebody was calling. Who the heck is calling me this early in the morning? I picked up my phone to know who it was.

Oh my God.

It was my Mama. I forgot we had different time zones. I really missed them, my family. It had been days, but it felt like eternity. I quickly picked up my phone and answered the call.

"Hello, Ma." I answered cheerily.

(Hello, nak. How are you? Okay ka ba diyan? Are you taking care of yourself? Did you eat properly? Have you already found a-")

She said that all in one breathe. But she didn't get to finish her last question since I cut her off. And I knew already what she was going to ask though.

Have you found a-

Like hell I would talk about that. The topic of men was quite sensitive to me.

Did she think I only went to New York to find a love life?

Because of that, my mood was gone in an instant.

"Ma, okay lang ako. I'm taking care of myself here. I eat properly. And I'll apply for a job in any of the companies here." I also answered all her questions in one breath. I understand her though. She was my Mama after all and mother knows best, right?

"Good. Why didn't you take the board exam at the first place? By now, you're probably a CPA and you did not need to go there."

"Pangarap 'to, Ma. You do understand me, right? And I'll do everything to fulfill it. Kaya I'm here in this place na malayo sa inyo. You aren't the only one who suffers every second of longing. It's not that I really want to be away from you. All I want is to be independent. I don't dream to be wealthy, Ma. Gusto ko lang ng simple, successful at masayang buhay. I thought we had talked about this already."

"Why? Aren't you happy here? With your own family?"

I suddenly got angry. How could she say that? Of course I would be happy with them. They were my family for Christ's sake!

"Ma, it's not like that. I thought you understand me. Of course, I'm happy there with you. Pero I also want this dream na magkatotoo."

Don't cry. Don't cry. You can do this.