Chapter 1: Choose Love or Sympathy

Chapter title from "XO" by Fall Out Boy

***

         Louis doesn't really do school. Sure it's good for hanging out with friends, but the waking up at ungodly hours to spend 7 more hours at a place he doesn't even want to be, with people he doesn't even like, isn't going on his list of favorites any time soon.

         Besides, who needs an education when the only work your future holds is seducing wealthy older men? Is there a degree in seduction techniques?

         It's a Monday after a long weekend and it is obvious Louis isn't the only one who dreads being in school. The day seems to have dragged on longer than the usual torturous hours and everyone is about ready to scream. It's the last class of the day and they've all managed to survive this long. However, it seems the universe really likes to test Louis's sanity as his last class also happens to be taught by Mrs. Titler (it's all in the name really) his current history teacher.

         She begins the lesson with a powerpoint lecture that has half the class scrambling to copy the information all down with cramping fingers and the other half just sitting there, contemplating their existence, having given up at slide 3. Louis is grouped within the second half.

         As a matter of fact, he doesn't even realize she's finished her lecture and moved on until Zayn, his truest brother in this God ridden Hell, nudges him in the shoulder and tilts his head towards the front of the room. Zayn doesn't really talk much and maybe that's why their friendship works so well. Louis can do all the talking (which is mainly complaining, let's be real here) while Zayn sits there in silence, high off his tits. It's perfect, really. Louis has finally found someone he can confine in without being labelled a whore.

(And even if Zayn is judging him there's no way to tell. His face always remains in the same beautiful expressionless look. So pretty, so chill.)

         Mrs. Titler clears her throat and passes out a piece of paper. "This class, is your rubric," she says in her usual obnoxious loud and nasally voice as the projector lights up the board behind her, casting a glowing effect around her thick frame. It illuminates her the way a God would be, punishing its helpless peoples. It causes a shiver to run down Louis's frame. It's terrifying, she continues, "for your final project, worth 50% of your grade."

       There's an audible groan around the classroom and Mrs. Titler obviously cannot have that. She does what any normal public school teacher would do and slams a meter stick on her desk and screams (screams), "Quiet!"

         Her actions receive the desired effect when everyone quiets down. The papers are passed around and Mrs. Titler claps her hand and pauses, "This is a partner project." Louis cheers and goes to clap Zayn on the shoulder, but before his hand makes contact with the beautiful human structure there's a book flying in his direction. It hits the front of his desk and falls to the ground. "There's a special place for disruptive students like you in the bottom of the ocean. If you'd like you can go find it now, only if you promise not to come back."

         Louis doesn't respond and no one says anything about their violent teacher, so she continues, "I will be choosing partners." Mrs. Titler smiles at the angered faces her students all immediately get. This is her prime time. These few moments, the moments where she's doing what she really loves, makes living still seem worth it. Momentarily she forgets about the empty bed she has waiting for her when she gets home, or the cat hair she has tracked all over her apartment, or her kids who won't return her calls, and for a moment she even forgets her ex-husband's hot new fiancé half her own age. Yes, in this moment, Mrs. Titler is God and she thinks she might even skip her crying session tonight. Maybe she'll make a stop at the gas station on her way home where the sexy 24 year old man lives and buy some chocolate and condoms. Treat herself a little.

         The teacher reads off her list of assigned partners and Louis is extremely displeased when Zayn is called to pair up with their mutual friend Perrie, but that displeasure doesn't come close to the feeling he gets when he, Louis Tomlinson himself, is called up with Harry Styles. Louis feels all sets of eyes on him (everyone knowing the connection Harry and Louis have) and watches as Harry turns around from his desk at the front row and gives Louis a small wave and shy smile.

        That's it, he's dropping out. Louis is fragile and he's reached his breaking point.

        The class is told to get up and sit by their partners. Zayn gets up with a muttered "good luck" to Louis, but the shorter one knows he doesn't mean it. He doesn't have to even look at Zayn's angelic face to know he's smirking.

         While the students around Louis move around to sit with their partners Louis stays in his seat, glaring at Harry and his stupid blush from across the room. Ultimately, it is Harry himself who has to get up and move next to Louis in the back of the class, a place Louis is sure the curly haired boy has never ventured to before.

         "Hi Louis," Harry says as he slides into the seat previously occupied by Zayn. Louis isn't looking at him, but he can just imagine the large and nervous smile taking up half of the taller's face, he had never been this close to his crush before, forced to merely admire from afar.

         "Don't look at me." Louis scoffs. Harry quickly looks away from Louis and towards his desk instead, he doesn't stop smiling though, just stares at the desktop like a lovesick puppy. The distance doesn't do him justice, Harry thinks.

         "I'm sorry, you're just really pretty."

         "I know."

         A moment of silence passes between the two in which Louis just glares at the front of the classroom with a cute and angry pout, while Harry very obviously steels glances at the other every few seconds. Eventually, Louis gets tired of pretending like he hasn't noticed and breaks the silence.

         "Look where are we going to do this?"

         "W-we could go to my house," Harry rushes, ecstatic at the thought of this angel in his quarters.

         "Ew, no." Louis says with a look of distaste, Harry's smile doesn't falter even the slightest, "and you're not coming to mine either."

         The bell rings then and Louis gracefully packs his things and walks towards the exit with Harry scrambling to keep up with him. "Where then?" he asks, tripping over his own obnoxiously long limbs.

         Louis rolls his eyes. Right before he reaches the door he turns around, "We'll meet up at the library at 6:00. Only on weekdays though; I don't want to waste my weekends on this bullshit." Then he turns around again and continues his way out the door, without checking to make sure that works with Harry. Of course, it does. Anything Louis says works with Harry.

         The lanky boy leaves the classroom in daze, the smell of Louis still in his senses and his voice replaying in his mind. 6:00 at the public library, Harry couldn't imagine a more romantic place or time.

****

Louis is a bitch ik.

Also, if there is anyone actually reading this, what do you think of dialogue?

        I'm thinking the next chapter will be mainly dialogue in order to give a little bit more insight into the characters and I don't want it to be bad (i'm not sure how I feel about my dialogue, especially large amounts of it) but I can't really think of any other way to write what I'm planning.