Chapter 6: It's Not One-sided

Nina's P.O.V.

"What was all of that about?" Ethan, the producer, questioned, confusion conveying through his eyes, as I had stepped back into the building.

I sighed, with my head facing towards the ground.

"Nothing." I decided to say. But, it wasn't nothing. It was never nothing.

My best friend was hurting, and it was because of me. I caused her pain, and that made me feel even more guilty than I had already felt.

I knew I was misleading. I knew I was taunting her, but I didn't realize how big of an effect my behavior was on her.

When we were together in the bath tub, submerged in the warm water while the sound of the thunder vibrated through the fiberglass wall, I was so lost in the moment, and I kissed her. I wasn't thinking, and now I've hurt her.

Her words echoed in my mind.

"And, it pains me that you don't pay enough attention to know that I am hurting... in here."

She was right. I was not paying enough attention. I was ignoring the feelings of the one person that mattered most to me.

I slowly raised my head up, remembering that I was the director, the higher authority then. I must not show any vulnerability nor weakness. Though, it was impossible for someone to remain detached from their feelings, it was expected that we'd at least hide it.

I forced a smile on my lips as I peered into Ethan's chocolate brown eyes.

"Alright. Good," He spoke, as if acknowledging that I was back to my "regular" state.

He then turned towards Samantha.

"Let's take some more shots now. I hope your ready, Sammy."

He pointed his finger at me, cuing me to start the next set, but my heart was not into it, so I knew they would not be the best photos I've ever taken.

Taking photos had always excited me. Photos, in a way, captured time. When we would have positive experiences, we instantly wished for those moments to last... forever, and so we would take photos in order to freeze that moment, and later, look back on it and relive it. Most of us used photos to relive the past, and that can be a great thing. It can cause you to only look at the good things you've been through, because you wouldn't take a photo on a bad experience or event. Would you?

But, though photos can only tell the truth, there are a bit of deception within them. We can manipulate photos and cheat time. We can lie about our past and have "proof" that supports it. And, after a while, after you've dwelled in those lies for so long, you start believing them yourself, and you forget the truth that those photos had once contained. You forget the beauty that it had once possessed. And then... you've wasted a photo.

I saw the beauty in the art of photography. I knew what it meant to see the perfection in the truth it told. It once made me feel joy to promote it... but now? I wasn't too sure if such beauty ever existed...

"Okay. I think that's enough for today. Don't you think, Nina?"

I started placing my high-end camera into its protecting case as I nodded my head.

"See you all tomorrow..." I said, dismissing the crew, with a hint of sadness and self-pity in my voice. I quickly forced another smile onto my face to cover my discomfort. Though I was not feeling it that day, I needed for my team to feel pumped for this production. Time was everything. It's so limited, so we needed to do the most we could every day.