Five

-------------------------------------------

June needed to get groceries before we went back to the house after clothes shopping. I held in my hands the bag that contained my dresses, walking swiftly to keep up pace with June. She didn't seem the athletic type, but once you put her in a store, she would be zipping around faster than you ever imagined.

I began to give up keeping pace and slowly fell back, just barely holding her in my sight. Eddie had fallen back as well, trailing alongside me. I kept my eyes on the floor in front of me, thinking about his sudden reaction to my wardrobe change.

"So... Orlando," Eddie piped up.

The abrupt spark of conversation caught me off guard, and I almost flinched at his voice.

"Oh, yeah. Nice place, if you ask me. But I prefer this place- Miami. The beach right out your front door, the tropical atmosphere. I just love everything about it." I rambled.

My eyes glanced over to Eddie. He had a small smile on his lips and slowly nodded upon hearing my statement.

I looked back at my shoes again. "You know, you're lucky."

Eddie immediately gave me a confused expression. He looked cute like that.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, growing up in a place like this, at a time like this." I realized what I had said after I said it. I could've totally just blown my cover. Eddie would probably think of me as weirder than I already am. Like I'm some kind of delusional.

Instead, he shrugged. "I reckon you get placed when and where you are for a reason."

I nodded. I totally agreed with that statement.

"Your mom is a wonderful woman. I would still be sleeping on the streets if it weren't for her."

Eddie gave me a sympathetic smile. "It's the least we can do for you."

"Don't be so modest." I retorted. "I know I'm a lot to handle, so I really mean it when I say thank you about all this. All you've done for me already. You guys barely know me and you've picked me up and treated me like family. It's amazing, what you've done for me."

I think Eddie was just used to the old hospitality people used to display. He didn't think much of it.

We walked slowly, side by side as we trailed after June. Neither of us spoke, and I took in my surroundings with awe.

"You know, I'm glad you're here." Eddie said, voice barely above a whisper.

I looked up at his baby blues. They locked onto mine, and my knees felt weak.

"I'm glad I'm here, too." I flashed a small smile.