Part IV

Michael was crying, and I was shocked momentarily. I was undecided on whether I should go comfort him or just ignore him. Eventually, my conscience won over, and I went over to him. Ezra and Sandra weren't back yet, anyway. I took a few hesitant steps forward.

"Uh, Michael?" I rasped.

"Oh, hello Ann." He croaked, making no attempt to hide the fact that he was crying.

I squatted next to where he was slumped in the shadows.

"Are you okay?"

He snorted. "Okay? Of course. I'm absolutely fine. I should have known that you see hundred pound men cry every other day."

"Oh." I said sarcastically. I heard the faint, beginning strains of  The Wanted's 'Glad You Came' somewhere in the house.

He sniffed, and I sat down next to him, the only sounds being crickets in the grass and 'Glad You Came.' 

"Tell me what's wrong." I demanded.

"I think I'm gay." he said, his voice barely a whisper.

"What?!" I jumped to my feet.

"I don't know, Ann! Everything's just so fucked up!"

I took a deep breath. It was not the fact that he was gay, it was just that he was Michael Baldwin. Quarterback of the school's football team, the guy every girl wanted. He was the school's player, for god's sake!

"Okay, relax." I said soothingly, "And tell me what happened."

I listened to him tell his account of how he had fancied a guy for a while now, and how seeing girls didn't get him excited anymore.

"May I know who it is?" I probed gently.

"Uh...its...Ezra Nikolai."

"Ah."

I listened to him for a while longer when the clock chimed ten times.He got to his feet, as did I.

"I better go." he said.

"Oh yeah, sure. Me too."

He offered me a lift. I could still hear party music from the attic, and the living area was empty, so I deduced that Dan was probably following Lauren like a dog. I accepted. Hey, life's for the taking.

We drove in silence, and finally reached my house. The lights were off. Gran was either sleeping or not home yet. As I got out, Michael called me back.

"Ann."

I turned, thinking that I had left something behind.

"Thanks for listening."

I smiled. "No problem." I turned to go, but he stopped me again.

"And if I wasn't gay, I'd have caught you. Long ago."

I tried not to blush like a fool and loped up the driveway.  Gran was at home, but she was asleep. I could hear her snoring. Not wanting to wake her, I crept to my room, fell on the bed, and drifted off to sleep.

Saturday morning was cool and dry. Dan and I would go to each other's places every Saturday to hang out. Since I had braved the rain the previous week, it was Dan's turn. I pottered around in the kitchen in old sweats and a t-shirt. Gran was at the market when Dan rang the bell.

I opened the door and greeted him. He looked happy. I could guess why.

"Ann! You'll never believe it!" He half-squealed as I led him to my room.