Chapter 3

Nico held the door open for the dog to walk in. He followed him to the kitchen, strangely enough, the dog seemed to know where to go. "Hazel?" Nico called. He didn't receive an answer. Hazel must have gone out with Piper and Jason while he was at his session.

Nico grabbed a bowl from the cabinet and filled it with cool tap water. The dog started to drink before the bowl had fully touched the floor. Nico sat on the floor beside the bowl and watched the dog's large tongue take in large amounts of water like it hadn't had anything to drink in weeks.

The front door opened; Hazel, Piper, and Jason walked in. "Nico. We meant to be back by the time you got home." Their eyes landed on the dog beside him. "Um... where did the dog come from?"

"I found him on the street." Nico looked down at the dog as he said, "I want to keep him." The dog met his eyes, a warm, familiar feeling washed over him.

"I didn't know you wanted a dog," Hazel said. She slowly walked over and crouched down in front of him. The dog didn't act or look scared, he sniffed Hazel's hands and walked into her arms. "He's soft," she said, petting his ears and face.

"So you just, saw him on the street and brought him home?" Jason asked. Nico looked at him, "yeah." He didn't want to tell him about the crying. It would've made things worse. "And... you're going to keep him."

"Is there a problem with that?" Nico's face took the shape of a frown. "No... Well, yes. There is a slight problem." Nico raised his eyebrow, his fist clenched at his side.

"Nico, isn't it interesting that you bring home a stray dog with black fur and green eyes, just a few days after your boyfriend, who looks like that, d-"

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Nico shouted. The dog barked, Hazel tried to keep him silent. "Nico-"

"Don't you fucking dare! Are you saying I'm not allowed to have a black dog just because Percy died?" Piper cut in, "Nico, he wasn't saying that. He's just saying maybe you should hold off on getting a dog for now."

"No! He isn't! He said I couldn't have this dog just because he has black fur and his eyes just so happen to be green." The dog barked again.

"Look, I'm not saying you can't keep him. I'm just telling you to be aware of the fact that you could be using the dog as a replacement."

That sentence made Nico so mad, he actually started to cry. His emotions were already so high, there wasn't much room for anger.

The dog barked again and escaped from Hazel's grasp. He trotted over to him and licked his hand. Nico took deep breaths, then opened his eyes. "I am not replacing him. The dog needs a home and I'm offering it. That's it."

Jason felt bad about making Nico upset, "I'm sorry Nico." Nico closed his eyes and shook his head, "forget it." He looked down at the dog, "I bet you're hungry." The dog barked and wagged it's tail.

Nico walked to the refrigerator and pulled out a piece of pizza from Hazel's leftovers the night before, a hot dog, and some sandwich meat. Once the plate touched the floor, the hot dog was gone.

Nico looked back at Jason, "it's fine. He's staying with me. And I can promise you, I'm still going to grieve over him."

How's the story? It'll start getting easier to read now I promise.