Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

Brett and I spent the rest of the day wondering around to zoo and checking out the other animals. My favorite animal was the penguins, partly because all they do is waddle around without a care in the world. It was about five now and Brett offered to take me out for supper, as friends of course.

“You heard about the winter dance?” Brett asked.

“Yeah,” I replied. “I offered to help out with it,” I told him. He gave me a quizzical look as he took a bite out of his cheeseburger.

“I thought it would take my mind off things,” I replied.

He nodded. “Makes sense, what theme is it?”

“Winter Wonderland,” I replied before taking a sip of my water.

“Original,” Brett muttered.

I laughed. “That’s what I said; I wanted to do like candy cane themed; I thought that would have been cool!”

“Yeah,” Brett said smiling sadly at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing,” he mumbled.

I sighed but decided to leave it alone. We finished supper pretty quickly and Brett paid again. As we headed out of the restaurant I glanced over at Brett. “Where do you get all this money from?” I asked.

“I have a job,” Brett smirked at me. “You really think my parents would send me money, they barely have enough to keep themselves going! To be honest, I’m pretty sure if they had more money they wouldn’t be together.”

“Why’s that?”

Brett sighed. “You see, Ally, if they got divorced they wouldn’t have enough money to make it on their own but together they have enough.”

“Wow,” I said not knowing what else I should say.

“Pathetic, I know,” Brett said with a shrug.

I smiled sadly. “Yeah.”

When Brett and I pulled up at a movie store I looked over at him confused. “Um, what are we doing here?”

“Logan, wants me to stop and buy some new movies because he’s tired of watching the same ones,” Brett rolled his eyes and I couldn’t help but smile.

“That sounds like him,” I said.

Brett nodded. “Yeah, he’s kind of a movie freak, he hates watching the same movies over and over while Tyler and I don’t give a shit!”