Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter 24

It’s been an hour since we last saw Brett but it felt like an eternity. I continuously told Noah that Brett was going to be ok but somewhere in the back of my mind I knew he wasn’t going to make it out of this alive. Still, I kept holding on. I wasn’t going to give up; Brett would get out of this alive. That’s what I kept telling myself anyway.

The doors of the ICU opened and everyone looked up. My eyes met Dr. Bryant’s and I tried to read his expression only it was impassive, it was impossible to tell what he was about to tell us. Noah jumped to his feet and headed over towards Dr. Bryant, the rest of us following behind him.

“He doesn’t have much time,” Dr. Bryant told us. I swallowed the lump in my throat; I was going to throw up. “We’re doing our best to help him but if he doesn’t have the surgery too soon he’s going to die within the next hour or two.”

Tears streamed down my face. “Excuse me,” I whispered barely audible. I turned and headed down the hallway; the first bathroom I spotted I ran inside. I leaned over the toilet and threw up. Sitting down I began to sob wiping my mouth with toilet paper and then leaning over the toilet and flushing it. I buried my face in my hands and cried.

I couldn’t lose Brett! I love him! I can’t even begin to describe how much love I have for him. I’m so stupid for not noticing it earlier. Losing Brett would be like losing my other half, if I lost him who would be my knight in shining armor? Who would comfort me when I’m sad? I don’t even think I could get through a day without him!

I began to cry harder, my heart felt like it was breaking into millions of pieces.

Then I heard the door open. I wiped my mouth again and got to my feet. I flushed the toilet and pushed the bathroom stall door open before stepping out. I was a little surprised to see someone I hadn’t seen in a very long time.

“Ally, I’ve been looking for you,” Abby said smiling. “Are you doing ok?”

“When did you get here?” I whispered.

“Not long ago, I visited Brett,” Abby told me.

I nodded, glancing in the mirror and cringing at my appearance. “Oh,” I muttered looking back over at her.

“I’m sorry; you probably don’t want to talk about him. Don’t worry though he’ll be ok,” she told me with a smile.

I nodded, not quite believing her.

“I haven’t seen you around school very much?” I said raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, you must keep missing me then,” she told me. “I see you.”

“Oh,” I muttered. I sprayed soap on my hands before washing them in the sink.

“I should go, I’ll talk to you later,” she told me with a smile.

“Sure,” I said awkwardly. I turned the tap off and dried my hands as she headed around the corner and out the door.

A few minutes later after I had calmed down a little, I headed back out towards the waiting area where I found everyone sitting only there were two extra people in the room now. Brett’s parents stood talking to Noah while everyone was sat down.

Rage erupted through me and I speed walked towards them. Logan was the first one to stop me from ripping their faces off. “You two!” I screamed. They both turned around and looked at me; Noah had a frightened face expression on his face. “If you have come here to tell us that you’re not going to sign the fucking papers I will personally rip your heads off!” I exclaimed.

“Someone calm her down!” Violet said looking between all of us. I guess she was afraid Logan would let go of me.

“You are terrible parents! You guys are the worst people I have ever met and I have met a lot of terrible people, you sick little bitches!” I ranted. All I wanted right now was to punch these two horrible people! I wanted to knock them both out!

“That’s it you little bitch!” Violet exclaimed glaring at me. I glared right back and for a few seconds we childishly had a staring contest.

“Stop it!” Noah said stepping in-between us. “Violence isn’t going to stop anything, we need to think calmly or we’re going to end up getting kicked out of here.”

I sighed stepping back. Logan let go of me and I ran my hand through my messy blonde hair and then I jumped on her and began slapping her. She was screaming and I could hear everyone else freaking out. Someone was trying to pull me off of her but I was gripping her hair determined not to let go.

“You psycho bitch, let go of me!” Violet exclaimed.

“Will someone get her off my wife?” Scott screamed looking between everyone. Pretty soon I was roughly yanked off her, my hands were twisted around my back and I caught a glimpse of a police officer’s uniform. I stopped moving and let my head drop, my eyes trailed over the pattern on the floor.

“What the hell is going on?” the police officer asked. He let go of me and I glanced over at Noah before looking between Violet and the officer. Nerves ran through me and I narrowed my eyes at Violet.

“Why did you attack her?” he asked me.

“Because she’s letting her son die!” I exclaimed. “And I love him and I can’t let that happen! He’s obviously not going to wake up he’s nearly in a coma!”

The officer raised an eyebrow at Violet. “She’s a psycho bitch, that’s what she is!”

“At least I don’t let my children die!” I snapped.

“He’s going to be fine!” Violet said.

“Officer…” I looked at his name tag, “Bradley, you can’t even pick her side in this situation because I have all of these people here to back me up. These two people are horrible, they won’t sign the papers because they don’t care enough if their son dies or not. So don’t even try taking their side because they aren’t worth it!”

“I wholeheartedly agree,” Noah piped up nodding in approval of me.

“Me too!” Shelby said. Pretty soon everyone was going to agree.

“Please, Officer he needs the surgery or he’s going to die!” I told him tears falling down my cheeks.

The officer sighed. “I’m sorry but I’m not authorized to say whether he gets the surgery or not. These people are his parents, aren’t they?” he turned to Scott and Violet who nodded. “Then they have the decision.”

“But–”

“Ally, have you ever thought that maybe we’re not doing this for us?” Violet asked. “We hate Brett yes, he’s a terrible kid. He’s constantly in trouble, he’s been to juvie before, but we’re not doing this for us, we’re doing it for him,” Violet explained.

“What if the surgery doesn’t work? There’s a chance that he could die either way, but if he goes this way at least he won’t be in pain,” Scott explained.

I still think their decision is stupid.

“Hannigan family?” Dr. Bryant’s voice rang through the entire waiting room. Everyone froze, and the worst possible scenery entered my mind, Brett was dead.

Only instead of those three words coming out of Dr. Bryant’s mouth a different three words came out. “Brett, he’s awake.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N : It's really short, I'm sorry.

This chapter is dedicated to @Bookie1646 for being an amazing follower and supporting me even before I was on Wattpad! Thank you!