-- 5 --

I froze in place, leaning against the flawless painted door, gasping for the breaths that inconsiderately walked away from me.

The mere intensity and blood thirsty quality of his voice would have the average Joe running for the hills by now. But, being the idiot I am, I stayed in place, not fidgeting a muscle.

"All right, fine. You won't come to me? I'll come to you." He snarled, jumping out of the kitchen and into my face. My breathing hitched in my throat, and I swallowed hard, the sound rattilng around on the inside of my skull. Our noses barely grazed, but I had no time to think about that, for the look in eyes sent whatever words I had under my tongue out the window.

"I want you to quit." He growled, his voice low and menacing. In fact, it was barely over a whisper.

"W-What? Why?"

He lowered his distracted gaze to meet my eyes. "It's not everyday that I get hit in the face. With a cutting board, for that matter. I could file that under some sort of... legal violation!"

"I thought you were a robber!" I practically screamed, my cheeks turning pink and my voice growing hoarse.

He sighed, stepping away and leaning on the wall. A thick layer of mud was caked on his cheek, and on the other, a red welt that will later turn into a hefty bruise.

"We don't need a nanny. I take care of Mason and Liam perfectly fine by myself. I want you to quit."

"No." I stated firmly, pushing passed him with ease. I went to gather the sprawled papers of homework atop the table, when his booming voice interrupted my thoughts and actions.

"No?" He hissed, flying over to my shoulder and breathing on my ear.

"Natty!" Liam bounded into the room, hooking onto one of Nate's spreaded legs, as would a monkey on a low branch. "Mason! Natty's home!"

"God dammit--" Nate said under his breath, running through his hair with his fingers. "Hey, guys. Can we not do this today? I just got home from--"

"Ooooo! Natty said a bad word! Mason! Natty said the 'D' word! Oooo!" Liam giggled smugly, running into the kitchen to find Mason. They returned together in a matter of seconds, holding what I would only assume to be whipped cream.

"What the hell-- No, guys! Not today! P-Please..." Nate practically begged, his voice jumping an octave at the blood brothers before him. The glint in his eyes sort-of gave him away, though. He was almost challenging them. He knew what they were planning to do.

And I didn't like it.

They gasped in unison, appearing to have been scalded. "You said the 'H' word!"

"Get him!"

And with that, they sprinted as fast as their little legs would take them, after their brother through the fairly painted door and into the mountain of a front yard. I followed suit, only to find Nate covered in a pillow of white after a few seconds. His happy laughter soared out into the air, as he dragged his brothers, one on each arm, through the pale slosh at his sides. They giggled and squealed, thrashing about in his grasp. A warm smile was spread across his rosey lips, and it was all I could do not to break into one, too.

"All right, all right! Mason! Liam! Your mommy wouldn't like that, now would she? Go clean yourselves up. You're taking a bath." I folded my arms in disapproval, a twinge of playfulness to my tone.

"We're sorry." They said smugly, glancing at each other with wide eyes, as they moped into the house and up the stairs.

"You said a bad word, mister. I should give you a time out." I wagged my finger in the direction of the sweet smelling boy, and shook my head in disappointment.