2

MARINETTE

It has been one week since the 4th death anniversary of my son, and I don't know if I have moved on from what happened. Well, I can never move on. How can a mother forget the death of her child?

"Hey girl."

I turn to the direction where I heard the voice. It's Alya who was standing by the door of the bathroom.

"You still preparing for work?" She asks as she eyes what I was doing in front of the sink. I have my makeup kit on the sink and all the face cream I need to use in order for people to not know that I have been crying nonstop for the past week.

"Marinette," She calls at me. I close my eyes and I am trying to calm myself down. She is going to give me a lecture again and because of how stubborn I am, I am not going to follow any of her advice.

"I'm not going to give a lecture, right now." She says as she rolls her eyes.

"Oh...then can you exit the bathroom please? I need to prepare for work." I say and I turn my attention to the makeup kit in front of me.

I feel Alya's hand on my shoulder and she starts to fix my hair by braiding it.

"Alya...you should leave me alone right now."

"Marinette, you should do something that can distract you from what you are feeling right now. I can't see my best friend in pain all the time."

I look at her and I can see how concerned she is for me through her eyes.

"I wish that I could do that, Alya..." I sadly say. "But everything that I see and that I do reminds me of him. My Thomas..." I continue and I turn the knob of the faucet. Water is coming down from it and I wash my face.

"But," I say after drying my face with a towel, "you are right, Alya. I think that I should stay strong for him by going to work." I turn to face her and she has a smile on her face.

"That's the spirit, girl! Come on! Your mom will kill me if you are late!"

I grab the keys of our apartment and we both exit the door.

Now who wouldn't be scared of two grown women running frantically to a bakery that is 6 blocks away from where they live?

----------------------

Both of us enter my parents' bakery and thankfully, there aren't any customers inside the store right now. I wouldn't want anyone to hear my mom scolding two 28 year old women in the morning.

"Good morning, mom!"

"Good morning, Sabine!"

Alya and I greet my mom at the same time and my mom is just glaring at us with her hands on her hips.

"I don't consider this as a 'good' morning, girls. I had to make the croissants all by myself this morning! And don't get me started with the muffins! I think that my arms are going to fall off already! Oh dear! I'm old!" My mom said to us without even stopping to breathe. She goes inside the kitchen and she starts to noisily wash the pots and pans she used. Alya and I could hear the clanging of pans against each other. My mom was pissed.

"Oh! The woes of a married woman who has done nothing wrong!! Woe is me, woe is me!"

My mom started to sing in order for Alya and I to feel "guilty". Honestly, both of us didn't even feel a bit guilty.

"Seriously girl, I remember your mom being so quiet and patient when we were teenagers. But now she acts like as if she hates everything in this world. What's wrong with her?"