7

ADRIEN

I hear my alarm clock ringing and I immediately wake up. Gosh, this is tiring. Another day of non-stop work. Oh, the joy. I get up from my bed and I take a bath. I change into my long-sleeved polo and suit. I look at myself in the mirror and I sigh. I look glum right now. Another long, boring day of work.

I head downstairs and I pass by the kitchen to grab an apple and just as I was about to exit the house, I stop to look at the living room. It's still messy. I smile and laugh just thinking about the other day. Why should I be glum when today is Marinette's first day of work?

"Today is going to be a great day, I can feel it." I whisper to myself and I exit the house. I decide not to drive my car to work and knowing that it is not that hot this morning, I decided to walk to work.

Walking through the streets of Paris, I see people doing their morning exercise. People are eating and drinking their morning coffee at cafés. I see little children getting ready for school and I see one crying, never wanting to let go of his mother's hand.

"You would have been going to school with them, Thomas..." I say and I realize that I am walking in a familiar part of Paris. I know this place...

I stop and I look to my right. There it is, the bakery. I see people entering and exiting the bakery. It seems like everyone in Paris is buying from the bakery. I cross the street and I am right in front of the main entrance. It's so tempting to go inside and buy all of their, freshly-baked in the oven, croissants. But sadly, after what happened four years ago, I can't enter.

I see a teenage boy eating a croissant and I approach him.

"Excuse me." I tap the boy's shoulder and he turns to look at me with a questioning look on his face. "Can you buy 5- no, make it 10 croissants, please? I'll give you money."

"Why won't you go in and buy for yourself?" He asks me.

"Well..." I start, what should I say to him? "Sadly, I'm an...alcoholic! T-they don't allow alcoholics inside!"

"Really? You know what, whatever." He opens his palm in front of me and I hand him my money.

"I'll be waiting here!" I shout to him as he enters the bakery.

After 10 minutes he comes out holding a big brown paper bag.

"Here you go, 20 croissants-"

"20?!" I shout. "I only ordered 10!"

"Yeah, and I'm a pancake. The lady behind the counter wanted to give you extra ones...she knew that they were your favorite. Here, take this." He hands me the bag and immediately leaves. I wasn't paying attention to him because I was looking at the lady behind the counter. It was Alya who was behind the counter. She saw me looking at her and I immediately mouth a 'thank you'. She just shrugs her shoulders as her reply.

I continue walking while I eat a croissant. It stills tastes the same and I feel like crying because of how long it took me just to taste this again. I remember when I asked Sabine permission to marry her daughter. Her husband gave me permission, but I also wanted to let Sabine know about it through me.

It was one of my free days. I didn't go to work and Marinette was still attending her fashion school.

I was helping out in the bakery and during my break, I would always eat croissants. Sabine was with me and we talked about anything.

"Sabine," I say as I put down my croissant, "Your croissants are amazing." I praise her.

"Don't say your praises to me, Adrien. Say them to your girlfriend. She is the one who does the croissants." She says as she continues mixing the ingredients to make a cake.