Chapter 63

"Did you want to talk to her?" Dad puts the phone against his chest while I chew on some Gushers, lifting my eyes and shaking my hand and head to say 'heIl no' because well, fvck no? "He's busy right now. Did you have a message?" He sighs. "Anything we need to know?"

Not likely.

Doubtful either of us care what's going on where she is.

"Kay. Bye."

"Talk to her." I automatically laugh at that. "Please."

"It's been a while."

"I'd like to keep it that way. I appreciate everything she's done for us but it's all you dad."

"Yaknow, I've been thinking about Las Vegas, that shoot you need to do. Are you ok with going in a month or so on? They need a Spring issue so there's not exactly a rush."

"Mm." I rub my eyes and lean on the tablecloth. "January? Or, no, fvck, uh, can we swing it mid February?"

"I could try. That's cutting it a little close but I think it won't be too risky. Why not a month?"

"Christmas. I want to be with Sage during the Holidays." I lightly press a Gusher past my lips when Dad nods, finishing up serving us both some dinner, Pork Chops lying out on some plates with a single slice of lemon on top that I'm gladly expected to eat.

Slice of lemon?

Dad's been watching cooking shows again.

"And January?"

"She's gonna graduate in January I think or maybe February or March so I want to be there for that, and I don't know when but also in January she's doing a charity race for her school so she can help them donate money to a new burns victim unit. I've been helping her and I really need to be there so I'm not missing that either." I point my fork at him prior to stabbing my meat with it. Which is tender, wow. Points to father. "Plus, most importantly," Dad smiles and holds his glass of cold water near his smirked mouth. "Sage's birthday is in February. I'm going to be there and stay for a few days because I don't wanna just be there for her birthday then fly off to Vegas the next and leave her all alone."

My baby will get the best birthday she's ever had.

One, because I'll be there, two, because I plan to spoil the sh1t out of her.

Anything she wants, she gets.

She's a queen, so she'll be treated like one.

Hm.

I wonder when this town had their last marching band parade.

What about a town fair in her honor? Or a carnival? Festival?

I wonder how much a blimp costs...or maybe 3 jet planes flying in unison with her favorite colors trailing behind them.

"Chandler?"

"Hey dad, do we know John Mayors agent? I want to see if he'll collaborate with me to write Sage a song or something."

"Aha." He takes second. "One thing about you son, you never think small."