Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Cannon

       "Come on," I said to Kevin Millington, also known as the man who owned the record label Hunter and I were signed to, as I followed him to his office. "You haven't even heard it!"

       "I don't have to hear it to know that it's a bad idea," Kevin said.

       "A bad idea?" I asked. "'Since when is my releasing a single considered a bad idea?"

       "I mean, it's a bad idea to do it right now," Kevin said. "Hunter has been working on his album and when it gets released, which is soon, sales for him will be through the rough, but nobody will focus on your single."

       I raised an eyebrow. "Seriously? I'm featured in two of Hunter's songs and if his fans hear that, they might want to see what my music is like."

       "Sorry, Cannon, but it's just not happening," Kevin said. "Especially because of your bad publicity last month."

       "That was last month," I pointed out. "And I apologized to my fans for the way I acted. Oh, and it wasn't like I was actually in that bar or drinking."

       "But then the whole yelling at the paparazzi thing," Kevin reminded.

       "In my defense, I was in a bad mood and their cameras were in my face," I said. "Can't you just hear my song before making the decision? I worked really hard on it and I really want my fans to hear it."

       "I've said it already, the answer is no," Kevin said. "I'm sorry, Cannon, but we have to focus on Hunter's album right now."

       "So in other words, I'm coming second place to Hunter, again," I said. 

       I always came second to Hunter. He was the big teen sensation while I was just known as his best friend. He got a national tour and I was his opening act. He was releasing his second album and I never released one album, only singles that I honestly weren't proud of.

       "Cannon, you're not second place to Hunter," Kevin said. "When you release an album, we'll be focusing on you instead of him."

       "How can I release an album if you never listen to any of my songs?" I asked. "This song, I'm extremely proud of it. I really want my fans to hear it and I think they'll like it. Can you please just listen to it?"

       "I haven't got the time," Kevin said. "After Hunter's album release."

       "Why am I even signed to this record if I can't make my own music?" I asked. "For other labels, they don't focus on one person when they're releasing their records. Just because Hunter's releasing an album, it doesn't mean our fans won't by my single. Just please listen to it."

       "Cannon, the answer is no," Kevin said. "And if you keep asking, it will still be no."

       "So that's it?" I asked. "I have to put my career on hold because Hunter's is more important?" I swear, if my contract didn't have a term of four years, I would have dropped it and produced my own music.

       Kevin wasn't even considering listening to my song. I was really proud of it and Annalise thought it was amazing. I trusted her opinion and she knew exactly what my fans would like, since she was one before we met. Then again, she was my girlfriend, so I didn't know if it was easier for her to like my song.

       "Hunter's career is not more important," Kevin said.

       "Then just listen to my song," I said. "Is there anything I can do to get you to just listen to it?"