Chapter 17 (Krista)

Friday (Two weeks after camp)

Today was the day of the End of Summer Festival held every year in Rosewood. This festival lasted all day and was held at the park. The park, that was usually bare, was filled with pretty lights and other decorations. There were always games and more than enough food stands. There's also bounce houses, obsticle courses, face painting and caracatures. Many different musicians and signers go to different areas of the park to showcase their music. This was the biggest event of the year.

Despite this massive event, I still had to go to work in the morning. The plan was to go to work, come home, get ready and meet J and all of our other friends at the park. J and I have gotten really close this summer. He's taught me so much about God and what he's gotten out of life. In a very short time he's become my best friend and I couldn't have asked for a better one.

When I got home, I had received a package in the mail. It was from Jackson. A name I thought I'd never have to see again. I took the package to my room and sat on my bed. I opened it. In the box there were old pictures, awards, drawings and a light pink notebook. There was also a letter in there from Jackson.

Dear Krista,
I hope I got your address right. I know we haven't seen each other in a while but I really need to talk to you about something. It's rather important. Give me a call as soon as you can.
555-6830

I stared at the letter and box for a while and then tears started fall from my eyes. I looked at the pictures of me and Sasha. We were so happy. There was one of us when we went to the beach for the first time and another one of after I won my fist cheerlading competition. I picked up the notebook and opened it. It was her diary. I was very confused because I never knew she had one.

Dear Diary,
Today is the first day I'm writing in one of these. My teacher said it would help me get out all my thoughts and feelings. I don't believe her but I guess it never hurts to try.

The diary was filled with dreams, stories, invention ideas. I began to cry even more. I flipped all the way to the back. I read the very last entry; it was a goodbye letter. My tears became uncontrollable. I laid in my bed and cried for almost an hour. When I finally got up I realized I only had about 10 minutes until I had to head to the park to meet J. I already picked out my outfit so I took a quick shower and put on my clothes. I was wearing mid-thigh denim overalls with a white t-shirt under and black combat boots. I put some jel in my hair and decided not to wear any make up. My eyes were a little red and puffy from all the crying but it should clear up by the time I get to the park.

I walked and tried to pump myslef up any way I could. I listened to upbeat music and I even danced a little but I still felt so sad. I practiced my fake smile to anyone that I passed on the street. I felt confident that I could cover up my sadness and met up with J. He was standing by a cotton candy stand with the rest of the group. "Hey you guys" I said. A series of heys and hellos came from the group. J walked up to me and gave me a hug. "How are you?" He asked. "I'm good." I lied and put on a fake smile. He got me some cotton candy and all of us went around and played games until it was dark.

As usual everyone started going home and J and I were the only ones left. We were walking through the park under the pretty lights. "Umm Krista?" He said.
"Yes J?"
"You're not okay. I thought that maybe I was just being paranoid or something but you kept looking into space and I could tell that your smiles were fake." He led me to a bench and we sat down. "What's wrong Krista?" He looked in to my eyes and I could tell he cared. I decided it was time to tell him.