Chapter 15: 33 Weeks & Counting

(A/N: Thank you to everyone who has stuck by and waited patiently for me to get my butt in gear. This chapter proved to be difficult to write. I admit it is a bit of a filler, but it sets up the next and future chapters. Hopefully, you will all enjoy it! I'd love to hear your feedback! xoxo)

Despite her promise to keep the baby shower low-key, Mae had thrown another magnificent party in honor of my little Jellybean. Lost beneath a sea of pink balloons and yellow balloons sat tables full of bright spring flowers and mason jars filled with pink lemonade. My favorite Italian restaurant had been completely transformed into a baby wonderland. There was even a station in the corner set up for guests to make Jellybean her own headbands for every occasion. Having headbands made by my guests were better gifts than the ones I'd placed on my registry. The headbands would serve as consistent reminders my Jellybean was loved by a village.

Each party I was surprised by the amount of people who cared, and shared their love with me. For years, I lived my life with my eyes closed to the love and support I had around me. Neglected the relationships I built, because I never felt like I was enough. Pushing people away protected my heart, but kept me lonely. No one disliked me, I disliked myself.

Today a mixture of co-workers and old friends mingled among themselves and doted over me when I walked by. Once I would have assumed they were here simply for Mae's sake. At my gender reveal party, I'd convinced myself that Mae had bribed them with fancy favors. But today they fawned over me like long lost relatives. It was a lovely feeling to be loved. With genuine interest, they asked about me and the baby and wished me well.

And for once I felt worthy of the well wishes and love. I was doing something amazing by growing a life.

As I stood with a few of my guests making headbands, I saw Jai peek his head into the restaurant and wave me over. He had disappeared even before the smell of coffee could wind it's way upstairs. Of course, I had assumed he wanted to be as far away from womanly festivities as possible. Though I wondered, as he left without kissing me goodbye, if there was more going on behind the scenes.

It took me a minute or two to waddle my way over to him at the door. "Wouldn't it have been easier to walk over to me?" I huffed.

He chuckled, "It would have but I want to introduce you to one of your guests and I didn't want to do it in front of everyone."

"Oh?" I asked, holding my breath.

A woman walked over to Jai, and it was clear from her features that she was related to him. "Amelia I want you to meet my mother, Karen. Mum this is my girlfriend, Amelia."

She smiled wide and pulled me into her arms. "It's so wonderful to finally meet you. I've heard such great things."

"I'm so excited to finally meet you in person too," I said, hugging her back with tears in my eyes.

Throughout my pregnancy, Karen had reached out to me by phone and letters, but we had yet to meet. From a distance, she was reaching out and building a relationship that I knew would be important for my future family. Frequently she would send me care packages of pregnancy items, and include baby pictures of Jai and her old family recipes. Karen made me feel like one of her own, and she was accepting me into her family from afar.

"I'm so sorry my daughter couldn't be here," Karen sighed, taking my hands into her own. "She, unfortunately, couldn't take the time off, but she promises to be here when the baby is born."

"Well, I'm really glad one of you could be here to represent the Courtney family. Especially since Jellybean will be a Courtney," I smiled.

She looked between Jai and I. "So you've decided the baby will take our last name?"