Chapter 20 - The Interview

The last of the dessert ramekins were being carted off with nothing but sticky memories of raspberry chocolate mousses (and a tropical fruit salad for Habeeba, of course).

It was the perfect accompaniment to our entree; peppercorn ribeye steak with potato wedges, which I enjoyed so much, I was tempted to ask for seconds.

Looking around the table now, everyone was seated languidly and covered in meat sweats from the beautiful meal we had just had.

MBA and his mum were deep in a serious conversation.

Raula was holding onto MJ tightly and chanting to him in Arabic as he tried to wriggle out of her grip.

Haseena was trying to speak to Habeeba but her words were falling on deaf ears as Habeeba was too busy making faces and trying to grab Khalifa's attention.

He had earlier returned to the table; his hissy fit didn't last very long. He probably just went to touch up his make up, I thought impishly to myself as I remembered Muda's joke.

The timing was perfect.

I got out my pen, paper, audio recorder and bug detecting device and changed my seat to the other head of the table, opposite Yaya, which seemed to earn me several terrified stares, but hey, I don't know the rules and Yaya, with her superciliously pursed thin lips doesn't scare me.

Well, maybe just a little.

'Hello everyone!' I spoke loudly to break their discussions. 'Thanks for the lovely meal. Now I'd like just 30 minutes of your time, I have several questions that need answers.'

The room became so silent, you could hear a pin drop. Everyone sat up and gave their undivided attention. No more jokes, it was all business now.

'These questions will provide useful clues to finding The twins so please think carefully before you answer and feel free to elaborate if you need to.'

'When last did you see the twins? And what were they doing?'

'Bla, blabbity bla bla bla!' Was all I heard as they all spoke at once.

'One at a time, please!' I held my hands up. 'Starting from my right and anticlockwise; each question I ask should flow in that order. Khalifa, why don't you start it off.'

Khalifa: 'I last saw them at the Theatre Room on Saturday evening. They were watching Downton Abbey and whispering closely.'

MJ: 'Saturday night with Ya Khalifa.'

Raula: 'Saturday night. They came to my room to kiss me goodnight. They wanted to stay for five minutes but they ended up staying nearly an hour. I had to send them off to bed. If I knew they'd be gone before dawn, I'd never have let them leave.'

Yaya: 'Saturday morning. They came to greet me in the Peach living room. I didn't like their clothes so I sent them back to their room to change.'

MBA: 'Two weeks ago, before I left for Zurich.'

Habeeba: 'Last week Monday, I was about to go to Toronto. They came to Olé, one of my restaurants with like ten other friends who ate like pigs and didn't even pay!'

'Iman submitted that expense to me,' Khalifa interjected. 'I had my assistant make a transfer the following day! Are you saying you haven't seen it?'

'I'd have to check when I return to work. But didn't I tell you, Daddy? Here's the proof. They're always coming in and not paying for stuff!'

'That's not the issue right now, you selfish cow!' Haseena smacked Habeeba's hand. 'Don't you have any clues as to how to find them?'

'Clues? No, no clues. I barely spoke to them,' she shook her head, as unaffected as can be.