Chapter 1 - Part 1

I was nearly done, with just a few more items to put away

I was nearly done, with just a few more items to put away. Most people would call it a day and leave it at that, but I was a compulsive person who liked everything to be in its place.

I knew I wouldn't be able to relax in my new room until the contents of the suitcases were completely unpacked.

My father had been offered a chance to work overseas for a couple of years. He worked as an English professor. My parents had discussed the possibility of me going with them but my grandmother, Anne, had offered to take me in while they were abroad. I'd been grateful even though it had entailed a move across country to the small town Anne called home.

Anne. I smiled as I thought about her.

She didn't like to be reminded about her increasing age so calling her granny or grandma was a definite no-no. She preferred to be called by her first name. She wasn't your typical grandmother who loved to bake and knit. No, still in her early sixties, she worked as a very successful investment consultant.

When I'd overheard my mother question her about retirement, Anne had shaken her head with a frown.

"Why retire when I still love what I do?" she'd shot back, and my mother had let the subject go.

She had the money to live anywhere she wanted but there was something about the small town she'd grown up in that made her refuse to live anywhere else. Even after my grandfather had died suddenly of a heart attack five years prior. She preferred to set up the appointments with her clients in the city where she traveled to when she needed to.

My room in my grandmother's house was bigger than my old bedroom and had been recently painted in a cream color. The dark-red curtains matched my dark-red comforter, which was folded neatly on my bed. My double bed stood in the middle of the room, with a dressing table and chair beside it.

The walk-in closet was quite big and I didn't really have enough clothes to fill it. I wasn't your 'typical' girl with loads of clothes and shoes. I wouldn't know fashion even if it hit me over my head. I loved simple clothes; no ribbons, no flowers and definitely no frills. I didn't even own a dress. My basic attire was jeans and simple T-shirts, which were generally paired with sneakers. Not to mention that I loved hoodies! My mom had given up trying to get me to wear dresses years ago.

Once I finished unpacking all of my stuff, I flopped down on my bed. I was exhausted, but at least everything had finally been put neatly in its rightful place. Just the way I liked it.

A glance out of the windows of my bedroom showcased the dark night above with stars sparkling down. It was getting late and I needed to get to bed to get some sleep.

Tomorrow would be my first day at my new school. I was starting my senior year and I wasn't looking forward to it. Making friends didn't come easily to someone who was shy like me. But at least I would know a few of the students from the occasional holidays visiting my grandmother through the years, although my last visit had been two years ago. Anne had come to visit us after that time.