Chapter 2 - Part 2

On my second day of school, I woke up extra early. The incident from yesterday was still on my mind and I'd struggled to fall sleep in the first place. It was bad enough that I'd have to face him at school. I got dressed quickly, putting on a simple red T-shirt and jeans with my black sneakers. I pulled a brush through my hair and tied it up in a ponytail. I was so early that Anne was only getting out of bed when I was ready to leave already.

I took a slow walk to the bus stop. Even though I tried to push thoughts of Jared from my mind, he was all I could think about. I waited for Stacy and Kennedy to arrive by the main entrance. They lived close to each other on the other side of town, so they traveled together to school in Stacy's car. Stacy was the only one of us three who had a driver's license and car—a really nice car.   

As soon as Stacy and Kennedy arrived at school, I started my interrogation.   

"Does Jared live near me?" I asked. Stacy frowned for a moment before she answered, "I think he lives on the same street."

I felt something twist in my stomach. Was it nervousness or excitement? If he lived on the same street we would be bound to bump into each other again. Hopefully the next time it happened I'd be fully clothed.

"Why do you ask?" Kennedy asked. Stacy's eyes narrowed as she watched me.

"Did you see him?" Stacy asked.

I nodded my head. I didn't want to admit that I'd been stupid enough to stand in a well-lit room, which must have been a beacon in the dark, in just my bra and panties.

"I thought I saw something and when I went to my window I saw him walking down the street past my house," I told them, hoping to omit that detail.

"Did he see you?" Stacy asked.

I closed my eyes as I nodded again. I remembered the exact moment our eyes had met and the shiver of awareness that had run through me.

"He saw me in my bra." I had finally admitted the whole truth. It could have been worse. He could have seen me in my panties as well. Kennedy touched my arm sympathetically.

"Oh, God," Stacy said, trying to smother a giggle.

I felt the red tinge of embarrassment heat my cheeks.

"Were you wearing a nice bra at least?" Stacy asked. I frowned at her. Was she for real?

"No. It was just plain cotton," I told her. I could tell they were a little disappointed.

"Lacy would definitely have been better," Stacy added with a twinkle in her eye.

"That's enough, Stacy," Kennedy said as she gave me a sympathetic look. "Don't worry about it too much." She wrapped an arm around me.

My friends continued to go on about the incident as we walked to our first class. Today, our first class was English, and luckily it was a class we were all in together. When Jared walked into the classroom, I was more than thankful to have Kennedy and Stacy to keep me company. I kept my gaze firmly on my book in front of me, trying to pretend I hadn't seen him.

I felt his eyes on me and from my peripheral vision I could see the way he openly stared at me as he made his way into the classroom and to a seat somewhere behind me. It took all of my willpower not to turn around and look at him. I was aware of every noise that emanated from behind me, from the scrape of his chair against the floor to the slight ruffle of his clothes as he adjusted himself in his seat.

I wished that the ground would open up and just swallow me whole. I was so embarrassed that I doubted I would ever get over this. Every time I saw him looking at me I'd remember that he'd seen me half naked and I would blush with embarrassment again. At this rate I was going to have a permanent blush staining my face.

By the end of the lesson, I was a complete and utter nervous wreck. As soon as the bell rang, I packed up my stuff and made a beeline for the exit. My friends were not far behind me.   

"Did you see? He just stared at you all through class," Stacy marveled. So I hadn't been imagining his eyes on me...

"Yes, he did. Maybe he is ready to move on from Felicity," Kennedy teased with a wink.

Stacy giggled. They were really enjoying teasing me about him.    

"Look, can we just forget about it?" I whispered to them as we continued to walk down the hall toward my locker. "It's super embarrassing and it's bad enough that I have to face him at school. I really don't want to talk about it anymore."    

I hoped the sooner we stopped talking about it the sooner I could forget it happened. Stacy tried to suppress her smile and Kennedy elbowed her.

"Okay. We won't talk about it anymore," Kennedy assured me.

"Thanks," I replied, feeling relieved. "See you guys at lunch."    

I left them and walked to my locker. I spun the combination of my locker and for some reason the lock wouldn't open. After a while I managed to get it open and I began re-organizing my books for my next lesson.   

"I seem to be bumping into you an awful lot," a voice drawled from beside me, causing me to freeze. My eyes drifted to the source of the voice and I encountered a smirking Jared.

How was it possible that right next to my locker was Mr. Drop-Dead-Gorgeous, riffling through his locker, which happened to be right next to my own? It felt like the universe was having a good laugh at my expense.

"I..." I stuttered, feeling hot embarrassment creep into my face. The smirk that he gave me was enough for me to slam my locker closed before I practically ran down the hallway to my next class.     

I was such an idiot. I closed my eyes for a moment as I thought about how I'd tried to talk to him but I'd only managed to stutter back. I managed to calm down a little as the day went on. At lunch, I sat at the table with my friends and thankfully they talked about everything but Jared. I hadn't told them about the locker incident. I'd lost my appetite, so instead of eating I kept pushing my food around my plate.

"Are you going to eat that?" Kennedy asked, eyeing my plate, which was still full of chips and an untouched burger.

"No, it's all yours." I pushed the plate to her. I thought I had a good metabolism, but I had nothing on Kennedy. She could eat twice what I could and didn't put on any weight.

Even though I was trying my best to ignore Jared, I glanced in the direction where he'd sat the previous day. He was sitting with his usual group. His eyes met mine and I felt that flutter inside my stomach again. His eyes were a startling green color, and they were hypnotizing as his gaze held mine. I pulled my eyes away from him quickly.

Thankfully Stacy and Kennedy were too wrapped up in their conversation to notice. I vaguely heard them talking about a guy named David, who Stacy seemed to have a thing for. I spent the entire lunch with my eyes fixed straight in front of me. The need to turn around and look at him was so intense that it took all my willpower not to give in to it.

At the end of lunch, I couldn't hold back anymore and glanced back toward Jared. His eyes clashed with mine as he stared at me intently. Before I looked away, I saw Felicity eyeing out the exchange with a frown on her face. Her brown eyes flashed to mine. She made it perfectly clear in that one look that she didn't like me. The rest of the group had been oblivious to the quiet confrontation. I quickly walked out of the cafeteria and caught up with my friends. I didn't see the 'super-hot' crowd again for the rest of the day.