An Exerpt From Masstropolis: A Building Block of Mordern Sylvonna

The word Masstropolis is derived from two words, MASSIVE and the word METROPOLIS.
A typical Masstropolis consists of 5 levels:

• Level One- sewers, trash dump,junk yard. After a consensus, the poorest of the population are sent there every two years. The worst criminals and any unwanted are sent there. Middle and Upper class do not count this place as a city.Being sent here is known as fate worse than death.

• Level Two- A place where you can find more crime than in any other Level next to level one. It is very similar to the slums. This level is built on poles, therefore suspending it over level one. Several criminals, mutants, and wackos ( as the other levels call them) will climb up the poles from L1. and attack residents of L2.It is perpetually dark as repairmen rarely visit to repair the skylights. It is very difficult to purchase the necessary License to travel to L3.

• Level Three- L3 is in much better condition than L2. It is busy city filled over 50,000 occupants. The city is not in a perfect state, and often needs repairs to fix its ancient technology. L3 has a dirt floor laid over titanium plates to separate the residents from L2. It's skylights are typically kept clean, and there are ever-functioning vents that allow fresh air to come into the city. Although crime still exists, it is considerably less. It is much easier to obtain passes here than in L2.

•Level Four- L4 is the only one of the cities built on ground-level. It is open to rain, wind, and storms. It is one of the most desirable cities to live in, and has 120000+ residents. It is a gorgeous city, but is filled with pollution as the BREATHE-CLEAN technology has not been shared with them. There is little plant life, as the fumes often block out the sun. It is 100% impossible to get a pass for L5, as you have to be invited to travel there.

• Level Five- L5 is the most pristine of all the cities. There is no crime, pollution, and no lower classes. The city is built on a giant disk that hovers 1000s of feet above the smog of L4. Technology is the latest, and BREATHE-CLEAN is used to power the city. A large park filled with a forest, lakes, and wildlife is located on the eastern side of the disk. Most residents are either rich or political leaders for the Masstropolis. The residents of L5 can travel to any level they please, however, most choose to remain where they are.

•KEEP IN MIND THAT LEVELS 1-3 ARE UNDERGROUND.•

***************************

The Masstropolis concept, as it has been called, was originally created by a man named Connor Smith. He came up with the idea when he moved to a traditional city from a small town and decided that wouldn't do. Filled with crime, murder, and sickness, the cities then were extremely dangerous places to reside.

He began to have recurring visions of a place where the lower class, middle class, and upper classes were separated. Luckily, because of his career and talented ability to create architecture, a very rich woman named Angela Cane decided to invest in his idea. She had the same disposition with the city, and wanted somewhere far away from the ' repulsive lower class apes' as she so eloquently put it.

The first Masstropolis began construction in the year 4867 A.W. ( after war) near to the West Point. It took nearly ten years to complete, and after the wild success upon its opening, Connor decided to spread the Masstropolis joy everywhere.

He chose to build on a tundra in The Frigid North, as there were nearly no human residents,and thought that a Masstropolis would draw people there. He began construction right away.

Unfortunately for Connor, there was a reason there were few humans there. After several months of workman disappearing here and there, the Masstropolis building camp was invaded by a legion of goblins. Almost every worker was killed, including Connor, and several were taken as slaves. The few that escaped that grizzly fate traveled back to Masstropolis West and told of the terrible events. The incident was dubbed "The Masstropolis Massacre".

Even without Connor, others began taking an interest in the Masstropolis concept. After two years of planning, a Masstropolis began construction in the East. Soon after, another was built in the South.

The Masstropolises have become homes to millions, and continues to be one of the most popular places to live.

***************************

More on Level 3: As stated above, Level 3 isn't exactly tech-savvy. Their electronics are typically 8 years old-- and that's new to one of the residents of this sector.

However, things that the political leaders consider "a human need" (light!) are typically kept in good condition. An example of one such item are the skylights, which stretch over the entire ceiling of Level 3. Repairmen often visit to see to their upkeep. Skylights imitate the light the sun would give off on a normal day. This runs through a cycle,giving off the appropriate light for the time of a day.

Despite the skylights being void of UV Rays, plants have been genetically engineered by scientists to grow and even change seasons in a sunless environment. *Note: seasons are also simulated with temperature drops.*

The idea of having these plants created was originally Connor's planning. According to a record of Angel Cane's and Connor's conversations, he believed that "-having plants would make people more likely to feel comfortable with a new underground setting." His hypothesis has proven to be successful.

Another piece of technology kept in optimal condition are the lifts. Lifts are similar to elevators, but much larger. They can carry at least 25 passengers and are used by Level 3 commuters who are traveling to a job on L4... And the occasional student who has qualified for the elusive Masstropolis West Academy. There is a small travel station located at the North, South, East, and West points of the city; there are 8 lifts in each station.