Military! Michael

Military! Michael was never the type to join the military at all, he was the quiet one in school, the lazy teenage boy you spent Saturday's with on the couch, and the highlight of your entire life. Michael had chosen to go into the military out of nowhere, he called it a 'mid life crisis' and just decided he needed to do it. He wasn't on a long deployment- only 6 months to a year which felt much longer than it really was. You always reminded yourself the some men don't come home for years, and some don't come home at all- It reminded you of the luck you had with Michael.

You guys had been dating for almost two years, both being rather young to have such a commitment like this but when he asked if you could be the girl he got to see when he got home one day, you didn't dare turn him down. You knew he was to come home today or tomorrow, which sent your insides into a frenzy and your mind into a tornado as you prepped his favourite snacks all out on the counters, cases of his favourite beer brought by friends, gifts from family all set nicely into the corner for him to open whichever day is after he arrives since everyone agreed they'd come over immediately. You also knew Michael would go see his parents first, which you were beyond pleased about since you knew he'd need a good hug from his number one woman in his life and his greatest influence of a man before coming home.

The small iHome held your phone with yours and Michaels playlist filling the uncomfortable silence in your small apartment as you waited, you knew Michaels parents would let you know if he had arrived or not so of course you were on your toes all day. 2 o'clock rolled around as your playlist continued and your phone went off- It was a text from Luke, asking if you could give him a ride to the shop down town to pick up his gift for Michael. You agreed, leaving as soon as possible just in case Karen were to let you know Michael was home.

Luke did his best to hurry, checking over the customized watch he picked out for Michael that had his initials and patch number engraved on the back of it. You dropped Luke off at his place, him bidding you a quick farewell as you drove away. Not long after that, you were walking into your apartment building. The landlord having a very large smile on her face as you walked to the elevator, the doorman asking how you day had been and asking if Michael was home- which you said 'hopefully soon!'

Stunned by a neat bundle of flowers sitting outside the apartment door on your dead pool themed doormat, you smiled happily as the card was sticking out. A single word was written inside.

"Surprise."

No signature, you shrugged and carried the bundle inside. Taking them into the kitchen to place them into a vase, you turned to the china cabinet and nearly screamed as you saw a very casual Michael- leaning against the wall, clad in his uniform and a bag of his favourite chips in hand as he munched obnoxiously with a coy smirk.

"Surprise!" He said happily, dropping the bag of chips and dashing over to you. Picking you up in one quick scoop, your legs around his waist and fingers gripping the back of his shirt to hold on as tightly as you could.
Your body shook, mind racing and heart beating as fast and as hard as Michaels as it seemed to pound off one another. You couldn't believe that he was there- no warning, no call, he just completely surprised you.

"Shit you're here! How long were you waiting? I swear I didn't-"

"I told Luke to take you out somehow, turns out he actually needed a lift." He said as casual as possible as you pulled back to get a look at his face.

He was in full uniform except he had a regular baseball cap on, his stubble tamed but a little messy, and his smile still bright and eyes still causing you to swoon in the slightest. "I hate you! I waited all day and prepared and you literally make me leave without me knowing! God that's such a you thing to do!" You said, swatting playfully at his shoulder which made him laugh.

"It's so good to be home, can I please fucking kiss you now?" He asked as politely as he could make it seem, you nodded eagerly and he leaned in. It was more like a big lip smack of a kiss, then him giving quick kisses all over your face to make you laugh and blush.

"It's so good to have you home" You said quietly, smiling up at him as you stood in front of him now. Michael grabbed a near by container of cupcakes Karen had made ahead of time for Michaels coming home party, he took two out, handing one to you and one for himself.

"Cheers, to being home and to being so good at being sneaky" He said, holding his cupcake up to you to clink with. Of course, you both just shoved the cupcake into each other's faces and spent the next half an hour swiping icing off the others face,and avoiding the mess you made in the kitchen as you curled onto the couch together.