Chapter Twelve

"And that... is... the last... box" Luke panted, dropping the box of dishes onto the counter. He groaned, exasperatingly dropping to the floor. Michael walked into the kitchen carrying Everly, chuckling lightly at Luke.

"Everly tell daddy to get up and help us" Michael said, tickling his fingers against the baby's stomach. He got a small squirm out of it but the girl simply stared at her feet as she kicked them. Luke got up from the floor, stretching his arms with a tired sigh. He gently grabbed Everly from Michael, planting a kiss in the older boys cheek.

"We have her appointment tomorrow so I was thinking we could maybe go out to dinner or something afterwards" Luke suggested, playing with the hem of Michaels shirt. The freshly dyed again blue haired boy nodded, stepping closer to Luke and placing his hands on the blondes hips.

"That sounds great, babe" Michael said, leaning closer and kissing Luke's lips softly. Everly made a noise, brushing her fingers over Michaels and Luke's lips. The two boys pulled away, looking over at Everly who had cracked a small smile. The two men laughed softly, kissing the girls cheeks.

-

"This is terrifying. I'm terrified" Luke mumbled, pacing the waiting room with his knuckle between his teeth, biting down on it. Michael held Everly on one of the grey plastic chairs. Everly was staring at her feet as she kicked them back and forth.

"Luke sit down" Michael said. The blonde ignored Michael, pacing faster.

"We should just leave. I'm fine with wondering" Luke exclaimed.

"Luke sit down" Michael said louder, gripping Luke's wrist and pulling him down onto a chair. Luke sighed, tears forming in the corners of his eyes as he looked down at Everly.

"I'm sorry. I'm just scared" Luke muttered, looking up at Michael with silently pleading eyes. The older man nodded, placing his hand on Luke's and slowly entwining their fingers. And Luke found comfort in the silence and the warmth of Michaels hand. It was so easy now for Luke to envelop himself in the warmth of Michael, the man just gave Luke a sense of safety that he needed.

"For Everly Hemmings" a nurse called out.  Luke sighed heavily, gripping Michaels hand hard as they walked with the nurse. Michael held Everly against his chest, kissing her shoulder every few seconds because he was just as scared as Luke was, he just needed to be the one to put on the brave face.

"Okay, we'll start with her height and weight then doctor Landon should be in here soon" the nurse explained with a warm smile. Both boys nodded in understanding. Michael placed Everly on the small table, prying her hands from where they were fisting his tee shirt. The baby made a noise before starting to kick her feet back and forth. The nurse took Everly's height and weight, stating that she was growing well. The nurse left with a small smile directed towards both men. Luke kneeled slightly in front of the small bed Everly was on and brushed his finger lightly against the baby's leg. Everly stared at Luke's hand, following the movement of his fingers.

"You're gonna be just fine, aren't you baby? Yeah. You're so beautiful, aren't you? Daddy's little princess" Luke whispered, laying his head on his arm so he could see those bright blue eyes that she got from him.

"She'll be fine baby" Michael whispered, placing his hand on Luke's back and soothingly rubbing up and down. Seconds later doctor Landon walked into the room. Luke stood up and sat beside Michael, gripping the older mans hand tightly.

"Let's get started"