Chapter Ten

S i x - m o n t h s - l a t e r

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to Everly. Happy birthday to you" Luke, Michael, Calum, and mila sang to the newly turned one year old who sat in her high chair facing a pink frosted birthday cake. Everyone smiled and took pictures while Everly simply stared at her feet as she kicked them back and forth. Luke gently picked Every from her high chair, placing her on his hip as he looked at everyone. They all knew how worried Luke was about Everly's lack of social development and interest in toys and people, they were always walking on egg shells around him.

"So I have some news" Luke nervously said. He looked over at Michael, who already knew what the blonde was about to say. Michael gave Luke a reassuring smile, which was all Luke needed at the moment.

"What is it, baby?" Mila asked, her and Calum patiently waiting for the blonde to speak.

"So, since Everly is already one, I thought it would be smart to find a place closer to doctor Landon. So me and Michael found a small two bedroom apartment close to Calum." Luke explained.

"Luke, I don't mean to be contradicting but are you sure that's a smart idea? You and Michael aren't together and that'll be confusing to Everly" mila said. Luke shook his head, picking at the loose strands of Everly's shirt.

"No. Michael loves her just as much as I do. I think this is a great idea" Luke stated. Mila smiled, getting up from her seat to kiss Luke's cheek.

"Then I'll support you" she said, gently taking Everly from the blonde arms and taking her into the living room. Luke sighed, sitting down where his mom previously was. Michael moved his chair closer to Luke, placing his hand on top of the blondes. Calum did the same, placing his hand on the blondes other hand.

"She'll be fine" Michael whispered Calum cleared his throat before speaking up.

"Luke, h-have you thought about the possibility of autism?" Calum asked. The blonde looked up with furrowed eyebrows. Not angry about the assumption, simply curious.

"How do you know that could be a possibility?" Luke asked, tightening his grip of both Michaels and Calum's hand.

"She shows a lot of little signs; taking no interest in toys, she doesn't reach out to be picked up, she doesn't babble. It might be autism, Luke" Calum explained. Luke sighed, looking towards the living room where Everly was lying on the floor, kicking her feet as she stared at the slow movement of the ceiling fan.

"She's simply extraordinary, isn't she?" Luke whispered softly. Michael and Calum looked over towards Everly, smiling at the little girl.

"She's beautiful" Michael said.

"This doesn't make her different. It makes her that much more special" Calum added. Luke stood up from the table, feeling Calum's and Michaels hands fall from his as he walked to the living room. The blonde laid on the floor beside Everly, laying on his stomach so he could see the baby girl. Michael walked in seconds later, laying on his stomach on the other side of Everly.

The small girl turned to Luke, then to Michael, cracking a small smile as she brushed her fingertips over both of the boys cheeks. The two smiled, looking over at each other, knowing that she would be okay. Michael leaned over the girl and pressed a small kiss to Luke's cheek.

"Let's go on a date" Michael blurted out. Luke's eyes widened as he propped himself up on his elbows.

"What?" He asked.

"Before we move. Let's have your mum watch Everly and let's go on a date. She's right, were moving in together and were not together, I think we should change that" Michael explained, rubbing his hand along Luke's thigh. The blondes mouth gaped open, slightly going dry.

"Michael I- we-"

"Just think about it" Michael smiled, kissing Luke's cheek softly before getting up and leaving the living room, leaving Luke to fall back onto the floor with a shocked expression.