Turquoise & Ice

The coachman didn’t say a word to me the entire trip home, despite my best efforts

“Was that the full Relic Trial?” I asked. No response.

“Why are you not talking to me?” He still said nothing.

“What is your name?” He stared at the track ahead of us.

“We have excellent weather this morning, don’t you agree?” He flicked the reins, encouraging the horses to move faster.

“Do you want to know a secret?” This made him glance at me. “…My name is Sharni.”

He scowled at me, and returned to staring at the trail ahead of the two bay horses. My choice of entertainment may have been immature, but it was certainly fun. And, it kept my mind from wandering back to Kai’s words. What had he meant? He had told me that he would be running, does that mean I should? And what would I be running from? None of it made sense to me.

It was close to dawn by the time we arrived at the village. People would be waking soon, ready to start their days. By the gods, I should have still been asleep.  But I was far too filled with adrenaline to return to my bed, and, I remembered, Angelise was leaving today. There was no way I was letting her leave without talking to her. Had she been kidnapped for her Relic Trials?

I jogged through the narrow streets, weaving my way past carts and sleeping animals. Eventually, I found my way to the largest dwelling in our village; Thaydron’s home. Angelise lived with the rest of my family, in a large stone fort, bordering the ocean. This was a luxury that I was not allowed. I lived alone in a small, one-room mud-brick hut, exactly the same as my neighbours, and her neighbours, and his… But nevermind that now.

I pressed my ear to the dark timber door, listening for the sounds of people moving inside. But the only noise I could hear was the heavy drone of Thaydron’s snores, so, a silently as possible, I nudged the heavy door open, and stepped inside.  A candle was burning in the corner of the room, illuminating the scene. Angelise was lying deeply asleep on a pile of animal furs, Thaydron’s wolf, Accalia, curled up beside her. The dappled grey wolf opened one gleaming eye, peering out to decipher whether or not I was a threat to her charge. I smiled at her; Accalia was an old friend of mine. She sniffed in greeting, and then laid her head back down in her paws, closing her blue and brown eyes.

I inched my way towards my Angelise, whose heavily-lashed eyes were darting around as she dreamed. I did not want to wake her, but I couldn’t see any other way I could get her alone, possibly ever. I prodded her shoulder, keeping my distance. My half-sister may have been named after angels, but when she was woken, Angelise was pure demon. Angelise groaned loudly as she rolled onto her back, covering her eyes with one hand and swatting at me with the other. Panicked at the ruckus she was making, I clamped my palm over her mouth, stifling her moan. Angelise’s eyelids fluttered open, revealing the pale blue orbs that they had hidden. My sister stared at me for a few moments, uncomprehending. She must have read the alarm on my face, because she stood, took her best cloak from where it sat on the wall, and stepped into the night air, gesturing for me to follow.

As soon as we were outside, she stretched her slender arms above her head, cat-like as usual, and spoke,

“I’m assuming that there is a reason you woke me up in the middle of the night, or is it just because you love me?” Her words were harsh, but her voice was light and amused. She might have been just a little annoyed at being awoken so early. I stared into her eyes, ready for any response.

“Were you attacked and kidnapped before your Relic Trials?” Angelise took a step back, shock painted on her chaste face. I took that as a no.

“Were you?” She asked, gripping my arm so tightly that I felt my circulation cut off. I eased her hands away from me, eying them gingerly. I nodded. Angelise’s hands flew to cover her mouth, and her eyes stared with a mixture of horror and sympathy. I described the night’s passing to her, her eyes growing wider and wider with each detail given. I ended the tale, and Angelise leapt forwards, holding me as if I was a frightened child. Maybe that’s all you are to her. A voice whispered from the depths of my mind. I shook my head, tears gathering in the corners of my eyes, and pressed my head into Angelise’s shoulder. Maybe if I didn’t open my eyes again, the fear would go away. My half-sister pulled away, eyes like ice shimmering with tears.

“When I faced my Relic Trials, Father woke me whilst it was still dark. He led me outside to a carriage. He said ‘It will all be okay. Soon you will be home bearing a silver chain, my angel’” Angelise smiled slightly at the use of Thaydron’s nickname for her. “I’ve never spoken to another about the Trials. You know the rules.” She whispered, peering over her shoulder, as if expecting Thaydron to break down his front door and scold her. Deep down, I was sure that Angelise was just as scared of her father as I was. My half-sister closed her eyes, as if listening. Or maybe she simply couldn’t bear what she was to say next.

 “You have to disappear, Shari.” I was speechless. Pain was evident in Angelise’s stance, but so was determination. And courage.   

“Shari, you will take my horse and Accalia. She is the finest wolf in the region, and will serve you well. You must leave before dawn, before anyone sees you.” She placed her delicate hands on my shoulders, and leaned back, searching my eyes for a hint at my response.  Angelise needn’t worry; I knew she was right. Even if Kai hadn’t advised me to run, I would still be leaving. I had nothing to stay for, now that Angelise was leaving. Tears leaked out of her eyes and poured down her cheeks in rivulets, matching mine exactly. Blue eyes, both masked by tears. My turquoise, speckled with gold and her pale ice, clear and pure as glass. So alike, yet so different.