1962 - The Message in the Corked Bottle

Sixteen years had now passed, and on the other side of the Atlantic, profound things were manifesting...

    Hunched over with his sight barreled down a microscopic lens, Stanley studied his current sample. "Alongside my smaller projects, I continue to analyse Doctor Mengele's work," he said into a talking device. "However, this batch of cells is only a weak strain of Chickenpox, nothing more. If the Mengele Super Soldier Experiment really did exist, then Alfred and young Penelope will have to search in less obvious places to acquire the hidden formula." Stanley paused the recorder, removed his latex gloves and apron, and incinerated them along with the redundant petri-dish. Afterward, Stanley washed his hands, boiled the kettle, and fixed himself a cup of recycled tea. Then he moved to his armchair with it, and sat. Like always, Stanley blew ripples across the surface of the scummy brown liquid, and while it cooled he solemnly hummed the English national anthem. A minute later it was ready to be sipped. But as he curled his mustache into the mug, the phone rang. "For goodness sake," he uttered. "As one of the King's Men, I of all people should be able to drink in peace."

    As Stanley contemplated answering the call, one of his test subjects caught his attention

    As Stanley contemplated answering the call, one of his test subjects caught his attention. In a zombie-like fashion, the German prisoner thoughtlessly bashed himself against one of Stanley's reinforced glass cells. He glanced at the frail human for only a moment. Thereafter Stanley refocused, put the tea down and answered the gadget attached to his ear. "Agent, is your line secure? Who is this?"

    "Of course it is," a female voice responded. "And it's me, 'The Lady in the Red Dress'..."

    "Well then my dear Shosanna, good afternoon to you," Stanley greeted. "It's been far too long! To what avail do I owe the pleasure?"

    The starlet spy hadn't been in contact for years. "Hello Stan," she whispered. "God, it's lovely to hear your voice again, and to speak properly! Also, since I last made contact, there've been some major developments! Is Alfie there? I need to report..."

    "I'm afraid not," Stanley said. "Once again, Alfred and Penelope are off searching Old Berlin."

    "Really?" Shosanna asked. "Why?"

    "Because he's convinced the formula is there, somewhere," Stanley huffed.

    "Okay, well has there been any serious developments?"

    "Shosanna, unfortunately not."

    "Sorry to hear it, Stan. I know we've needed a breakthrough for a while. To be honest, with so many expeditions behind them, I just thought they would've found it by now."

    "Shosanna, I share your frustrations. I had to scorch Alfie's current offering only a moment ago. Sadly, if we wish to topple the Grand Nazi Reich, they need to bring me something far more lethal than Chickenpox. Otherwise, I won't be synthesising any viral pathogen, and we might as well give up now."