20

It'd been ridiculously easy to get Sevoir to accept their half-assed explanation for how they'd come by the amulet. When Laxus had handed over the stone, the older man had been too overjoyed to ask questions, praising their talents and thanking them for returning his prized possession in time to make the transport for his buyer. His compliments made Natsumi's skin crawl. All the casual things that she'd never noticed before, or hadn't minded, now grated on her nerves, and she had to clench her fists more than once to stop herself from singeing off all his facial hair.

After coughing up the cash he owed them, he'd readily agreed to take them on as a security detail during the days leading up to the exchange, chattering on about how lucky he was to have two of them helping him out of the goodness of their hearts. To her surprise, Laxus took it all well, full of charming smiles and professionalism. Natsumi envied him, having to keep herself from gagging every time Sevoir looked at her. She'd make him pay for trying to trick them.

Despite their efforts to get Sevoir to slip up and say something incriminating, he remained charming and amicable every morning, spending the next three days chatting with them about their various adventures and pumping them with a nearly endless supply of snacks. Natsumi figured that was the one bearable thing about all this waiting and sitting around. If she was stuck here for one more afternoon, she'd spend it trying to eat Sevoir out of house and home. It was the least she could do besides take the cheating bastard's money. Looking beside her at the man in question, she found him looking as bored as she felt, though his face hid it well. She stifled a giggle. It wasn't like Laxus to fake being nice to someone he hated, and judging by the way his eyes tightened every time he fielded another one of Sevoir's questions, he couldn't stand the old guy after what Priscilla had told them. She watched as one of his hands moved in the pocket of his pants, knowing he was toying with the recording lacrima he'd had there since they'd agreed on the plan. As time went on, however, it was clear that they'd have to strike once the buyer came to pay for the Amulet Shard.

Natsumi watched with eagerness as the sky outside grew orange and yellow with the impending sunset, knowing she and Laxus would soon be free.

"What time should we be here tomorrow to supervise the exchange?" Laxus interrupted her thoughts with his question.

Sevoir looked up from where he'd been sketching on the fainting couch opposite them. He adjusted the collar of his immaculately tailored coat, a smile on his face.

"Judging from her letters, no later than noon. My associate's reputation rather precedes her. She's been said to be very punctual as well as...discrete. It can be risky business when transporting such valuable objects. I'm sure you understand."

Laxus nodded. "I take it she will have her own security to ensure its safety?"

Sevior laughed, though his smile lacked the warmth they'd grown accustomed to. "Of course! Baroness Jia has always been a stickler for safety. She'll no doubt have top of the line security, so there's no need to be concerned. I'm actually hoping you'll be kind enough to not mention this whole business to her, as she would be extremely...upset to hear that I'd managed to muck up," he said bashfully, all high-class grace, but Natsumi could see the sheen of sweat that beaded on his neck.

He was scared, she realized with a jolt. She wondered what kind of person this Baroness was to make someone as unruffled as Sevoir nervous. Probably no one good.

"Don't worry," she smiled at the man, ignoring how her gut twisted, "We've got your back."

The tightness around the older man's eyes relaxed, but she noticed how they seemed dim. "I thank you for that, Natsumi. And you as well, Laxus."

They departed soon after that, Laxus throwing an arm over her shoulders as they walked through the gates of the Sevoir estate.

"That jerk better not be feeling guilty now, of all times," she grumbled. "I wanted to personally teach him a lesson." She hit a fist into an open palm for good measure.