Chapter 5 part 1

CHAPTER 5

“Come with me.”  He held out his hand, willing her to come to him, to make a leap of faith.

She wanted to.  Wanted to take his hand, let him lead her where he would. 

Still she hesitated. 

Her body yearned, felt the calling of some ancient instinct. 

Her logical, rational mind, said ‘no’ this is only a dream.  You’ll leave everyone you love behind if you go with him.

But her heart heard the call and expanded with joy. 

She lifted her hand, “I don’t know you.” 

“Look at me, Princess.  You know me.  Your heart knows me.  Trust it.  Trust what you feel.”  His deep, rich baritone, softly washed over her, filling a void long forgotten.

Audra stared as the man beckoned her.  Stared at the most handsome man she’d ever seen.  Jet-black hair, worn cropped yet long enough to run her fingers through.  Strong, square jaw and...his eyes.  They mesmerized, so deep and dark a blue it was as if they were a gift from the god Poseidon.  Just a little of his ocean domain gathered at the stroke of midnight and given to a mortal man.

Lips, full and sensual, invited her to explore their very depths.  His uniform fit like a second skin, molding itself to his incredible body.  It did little to hide, but rather accentuated his form, from his wide shoulders, to his abs and on down.  She watched the muscles play across his chest as he extended his hand to her. 

“Princess.  Your people need you.  Come with me now.”  He looked down at her, eyes glittering, his smile warm and inviting.

 “What of my family?  What of my life here?  Why should I give it up?  For what?”

“Princess, I can only offer you danger, adventure, and the undying love of your people.”

“And you?  What do you get?”

He smiled at her.  “My lifemate.”  Closing the gap between them for the first time, he reached out and stroked her cheek.  “You.”

The dream woke her.  She had the same dream for years.  Dreams about Darius.  She tossed and turned and thought about all her mother had said.  Everything whirled in her brain but Audra kept coming back to the same thing...she had a sister.  Why did Centauri need her if she had a sister?  Her mother said she was the older, but what did a few minutes mean?  No, there was definitely something wrong.

A long bath would clear her mind and settle her nerves before she faced another day with Darius.  In the bathroom, she turned on the water in the beautiful tub, got in, leaned back and closed her eyes.

What in the world was she was doing?  Or maybe she should say what in the universe.  She smiled.  Nothing she had ever done before prepared her for the path her life was now taking.  She was betrothed.  Betrothed, who ever used that word anymore anyway?  All right she was engaged.  Yes, that was better.

Slipping lower in the water so it covered her shoulders she frowned.  What kind of man are you engaged to?  If he’s anything like his brother you are a very lucky girl.

You’re falling for the wrong man!  She sighed.

But he’s so nice and strong and kind.

And your future brother-in-law.

What kind of relationship can you have with him when you’re married to his brother?