The Blue Boy Scout

Knock knock!

Dick jumped out of bed as he heard the two knocks on his door.

"Yes?" He spoke groggily. He had completely passed out after his nightmare. To be honest, it was probably because he wasn't used to the amazing sleeping conditions.

"Master, Dick. I believe you should wake up and prepare yourself if you do not wish to eat a cold breakfast." Alfred's calm voice said though the thin door.

"Yeah, thanks for waking me." Dick had completely forgotten that he was staying with Bruce when he first woke up during his nightmare. Honestly, it was kind of weird. He barley knew Batman, but he knew that Bruce wanted to protect him no matter the case.

So, with that in mind Dick quickly readied himself and then headed down the stairs.

There were two seats that had plates near them, so Dick decided to sit on the one that wasn't at the end of the table. That would obviously be Bruce seat. The table was long, Dick wasn't even sure why if, according to Alfred, it was usually just the two of them around.

On the glass plate were some scrambled eggs and French toast. Dick couldn't remember the last time that he had something that even smelled close to this good. Next to each plate was a glass or orange juice, a napkin, and silverware.

"Good morning, Master Bruce." Alfred greeted causing Dick to turn around. Bruce was dressed in a formal black jacket over a white dress shirt and it was accompanied by a teal tie.

"Good morning, Alfred, and to you too Dick."

"Good morning." Dick said lightly. He wasn't used to people being this kind to him. It seemed weird... Almost as if they were plotting something against him. He was just waiting for them to say 'just kidding' and laugh in his face as some diabolical plan took place.

Bruce sat down in his chair, and was about to take a bite into his French toast when a beeping emitted from his phone. Seeing that Bruce had yet to eat, Dick set his fork down and waited. Bruce soon noticed this,"You don't have to wait for me to eat before you do."

Dick cocked his head," You sure?"

"Positive." Bruce then began typing on his phone.

Dick then cautiously picked his fork back up and stabbed a small piece of French toast. Then, keeping his eyes on Bruce, he slowly put the food in his mouth and eventually finished it.

Normally, he would be enjoying the richness of the bread as he ate it, but he was so confused. Wasn't it normal to wait for the head of the house to eat before you could eat?

Bruce then placed his phone down and he too began to eat his breakfast.

Dick kept his head low as he ate. A question was gnawing at his mind, but he feared to ask. Perhaps he would be turned down or punished for asking such a thing.

"Something on your mind?" Bruce asked noticing Dicks distress. Dick suddenly jerked his head up and sent a forced smile.

"It's nothing." Dick tried to shake away the topic.

"Are you sure? Is it the food? I can have Alfred make you something new if you would like."

Dick shook his head and put up his hands,"No, no, the foods great- but.... I just-I wanted to ask something, but it's dumb. It doesn't really matter..."

"Are you sure?" Bruce asked making Dick want to just blurt out his question, but he refused to. What was the worst that could happen? He would say no? Actually, that was probably the best case scenario (other than him answering yes, of course).