Chapter Six

I’ve started incorporating a word of the chapter into the story :) Today’s word of the chapter: ‘Ostentatious’. Definition: (Adjective) Characterised by vulgar or pretentious display.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Six

Phoenix smiled charmingly at our surprised English teacher. She wasn’t new to the school which meant that she was well aware of his devious personality. Her face instantly hardened as she glared at Phoenix disapprovingly. “Do you have a reason for rudely interrupting my lesson, young man?” She snarled.

“Oh, shut up you old hag,” he responded irritably. “You weren’t even teaching them anything since you were too busy on the internet trying to build an online relationship with a hunk named Bob,” he paused to laugh drily. “News flash, he’s fat, ugly and probably has a wife.”

Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped to display a look of pure disbelief; a look that Phoenix blatantly ignored. “Barbie, get your shit so we can get out of here.”

His eyes met mine and the frustration I found within his piercing gaze rendered me speechless.

“Who the hell is Barbie?” I heard one of my classmates mutter to her friend.

My eyes jumped to Jordan and then dashed across to Ivy. They knew who Barbie was. This fact was evident in the identical looks they bore that warned me of my fate if I complied with Phoenix’s wishes.

Phoenix growled and strolled through the doorway. He stopped before my table and I observed, motionless, as his left eye twitched from irritation. “Get you bag, we have somewhere to be,” he ordered. “Or, better yet, leave the bag.” He extended his hand for me to take.

The whole classroom remained silent and leaned forward in anticipation of my next move.

Time froze as I explored the expressions on my friends’ faces. I had made them a promise with the intention of breaking it. But... could I really defy them?

And then I remembered why I had turned to Phoenix in the first place. He was my distraction; my possible remedy to the illness I liked to call ‘life’.

It was him or them.

The choice should have been considerably more difficult that it was. After all, I had known my friends for almost six years and Phoenix for a matter of hours.

I offered all four girls an apologetic glance as I took Phoenix’s hand and allowed him to pull me up. Before I left the classroom, I made sure to wear my backpack. The items on my desk were useless – just a copy of the assignment along with a cheap, black pen since the lesson had only just commenced – so I left them as they were.

Every student stared at me with unmoving expressions of incredulity as I exited the class. Our teacher didn’t so much as utter a word for she knew it would be in vain.

Phoenix led me through the dimly lit hallways of our looming school. I paused by my locker where I retrieved my phone from within my rucksack before shoving said bag into the confined metal space.

“Stop taking your fucking time,” Phoenix barked when he grasped that I was no longer walking. “They were expecting us an hour ago.” No wonder he was swearing so much, he must have had a deadline. Even with his personality in mind, I couldn’t help but notice that he was being overly ostentatious.

I jogged to his side and matched his quickened pace but stopped abruptly when a question came to mind. “Who?”

He too halted and spun around without hiding the obvious annoyance he must have felt towards me at the time. I could see it in his tensed shoulders and darkened irises. “‘Who’, what?” He asked through gritted teeth.