Chapter Nine

Today’s word of the chapter: ‘Eviscerate’. Definition: (Verb) Disembowel (a person or animal).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Nine

“I can't talk about it.” 

“What?” My brows furrowed in confusion. “So I'm right?”

“We should head back; it's your turn to shoot.” He was clearly evading the issue, but why?

I stuck out my hand and held his chest, effectively stopping him as he attempted to walk by. “Am I right?”

“I really can't talk about it.” Just from the terrorising glint in his eyes, I knew he was unstably perched on a wall between irritation and full blown anger. He was probably fantasizing about taking it upon himself to eviscerate me. “Now, can we head back so that you can take your shots?”

He paused to see whether I would persist and when I didn't, he stepped around me and began his journey back.

I slowly twirled around and found that his shoulders were tensed as he began the lengthy walk back. This was yet another one of his “touchy” subjects. But I needed to know. I made a silent promise to pry the information from him one way or another because this was big.

An assassin.

I tested the word a few times. It was probably one of the most dangerous eight letters I could utter to him. What if he decided that now that I knew, he could no longer trust me and, thus, abandoned me or, worse yet, silenced me in the most violent of manners? If he was an assassin, it would not be that hard to cover up his tracks.

God dammit, Sadie. What the hell have you gotten yourself into? I could probably handle him being the Master Drug Lord because it was dangerous but also minimally violent seeing as no one ever really wanted to directly mess with drug lords except for the police and possibly a rival gang. But a hired killer? That was an occupation that required the highest levels of precision, stealth and skill. One mistake and that person could end up in a maximum security prison with multiple life sentences.

No wonder he didn’t want to talk to me about it.

As I stared at his departing figure in stunned silence, I couldn’t help but drink in his beautifully moulded back and the way his slightly baggy skinny jeans hung low enough for me to view the two small dimples just above his waist-line. We were only a few hours away from sunset so the afternoon reflected off his body and made him gleam where he had sweated.

Wow.

Once I had snapped out of my hormonal reverie, I began walking and winced as I took my first step. My foot would not give me a single break, even during the most dramatic of moments.

I found Phoenix leaning against the banister with a fixed stare as he watched me pick up the handgun where I had left it next to his rifle. “So...,” I attempted to fill the awkward silence.

During the walk back, I had made a promise to myself. I would corner Phoenix and ask him about everything. I needed to know. However, I was going to let him off the hook for a couple of days because, after all, he had only known me for a total of two – almost three – days. I needed to earn his trust; a task that I knew was extremely difficult. People with his possible occupation, had to constantly be wary of others because their next ‘friend’ might very well be the person to put them behind bars.

He was a contract killer. That kind of explained the situation with Mike and the vague person that Phoenix had supposedly killed. But why would he kill someone that was the friend of a friend? If all of them were bad guys, then why would he kill someone on his own side?