Approach

Mil pries open her eyes. A few hours ago, Andrej convinced her to get some rest despite her being submerged in her studies. Then, she wasn't sleepy. But now, with the landing imminent, she struggles to wake up. Still, she doesn't want to miss this moment.

Is there enough time for a shower? She's not fond of the recycling wet-cell. But water is precious, and some minutes in the hot vapour are better than nothing. She gathers her damp hair into a ponytail and enters the operations centre. The others are already seated. Koshi, a stickler for punctuality, throws her a stern glance. Mil mouthes an apology and takes a seat next to Carlos.

"Now that we all are assembled, let's start. Dray, you'll pilot approach and landing. I'll man navigation and give you support. Andrej, I want you to take the third seat. You're responsible for picking the landing site, observe it, and transmit relevant sensor data. Carlos and Mil, you stay in the lab. Please follow the proceedings on the screens from there. Alert me if you have doubts or suggestions. Is there anything we should talk about before we set down, Mil?"

"I take it that you are familiar with our data and report?"

Koshi nods his confirmation. Mil is glad he is thorough in these matters. The report points out important parameters, lists the composition and stratigraphy of the atmosphere. They determine the speed and angle of the approach.
Mil provided the data for Andrej's calculations. She glances at the astrophysicist, asking nonverbally for his consent. Andrej smiles confidently. The captain takes in the short exchange and nods.

"Well then, let's go, Emerald awaits."

On the way to the lab, Mil finally gets the chance to ask Carlos the question still nagging her brain.

"Did you find the reason for the disturbance in the engine?"

The technician looks tired, his eyes rest deep in their sockets. Probably he got even less sleep than Mil — if any. He shakes his head in denial.

"I checked every component several times. First with Koshi and then with Dray. We went over them again and from every different angle. Everything seems to be in order. The only plausible explanation at this point is a temporary malfunction of the control gauge for the Harris-value. As improbable as this seems."

Mil is not sure if the information reassures her or enhances her fears. Her brow still creased by a thoughtful frown, she settles in her chair and snaps the safety net in place. Carlos powers up the screen, and the breathtaking view chases the thoughts about the mysterious malfunction away.

Emerald, the green planet, dominates the scene. Slowly, they move from its dark to the bright side, crossing the dawn line. The central star of the system raises above the planet's rim, sending its light to the surface, outlining turquoise cloud bands. They blend with the shades of green of the uninterrupted vegetation cover. In the upper left corner of the screen, a red moon stands in harsh contrast. The second moon should appear at any time now. There it is, blueish grey and spotted with uncountable craters. Mil can't get enough of the changing play of colours.

Over the comm system, she follows the quiet voices of Dray and Koshi. They guide the ship nearer to the planet with professional efficiency. Mil is glad to see Carlos relax and forget his sorrows for a moment. He mumbles something in Spanish. She doesn't have to know the language to understand his feelings. The technician seems to be overwhelmed by the experience, and Mil remembers he is a first-timer like herself.

Feeling guilty, she tries to divert part of her attention to her task as a scientist. The approach is recorded by the ship, yet she wants to note her personal observations too. In a low voice, she describes her impressions into the built-in microphone of her chair, trying not to disturb Carlos. To judge by the transmission from ops, Andrej does the same over there.

Before her first trip in space, Mil spent time studying hundreds of pictures showing possibly inhabitable planets. Only a few were as fascinating as QRX-57. During the approach, her eyes confirm what the instruments told her long ago.

Unlike Earth, this planet shows no continents, no clear line between land and water. Almost the whole surface is overgrown. Only in the polar region, the climate seems to be too harsh for vegetation. In some areas, the biomass is dark forest green, in others, vernal colours dominate.

With decreasing distance, countless watercourses become visible. They cover the surface in a dense net of wide channels and separate islands with varied vegetation.
A happy sigh escapes Mil's lips. This is better than anything she hoped for or dreamt of. Emerald is a paradise for a botanist.