Taking Chances

This is my contribution for the 4th day of AkaKuro Week! I posted this last Thursday on FFN and AO3~

Disclaimer: I do not own Kuroko no Basuke. Fujimaki Tadatoshi-sensei owns it. The only thing I own is this story.

I do not own the cover photo either. Credits go to their respective owners.

Warning: Grammatical errors, unbetaed, and limited vocabulary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their meeting wasn't really the kind of first encounter one would expect. There were neither pink cherry blossom petals fluttering with the wind, nor heart-thumping eye-to-eye contacts of love at first sight. Heck, it was the complete 180 of a perfect, dreamy, chance meeting between two people.

It was a catastrophe... and he knew it was all his fault.

.

.

.

It happened on their third year of middle school. It had been raining heavily outside, as if foreshadowing a forthcoming tragedy. It did come, accurately so.

He broke him... in the most horrible way possible.

Well, yeah, he knew how big of an asshole he had been two years ago– not that he actually isn't right now. Though, he admits that it did tone down when his original self resurfaced.

He remembered the look the bluenette had when he introduced himself to him. He wasn't one to have his interest piqued quite easily, but the bluenette's reaction made a certain kind of feeling blossom deep inside of him. The bluenette's devastated look made him smile. His other self loves the guy standing in front of him. Now that "he's" gone, isn't the bluenette his for the taking?

Akashi threw the towel to the bluenette teen who was dripping wet after just blindly walking outside, despite the obvious uncalm weather. "Give up on Aomine," He ordered, expecting to see some sort of reaction on the bluenette's always expressionless face. And it did work.

Kuroko stared at Akashi, unbelieving, as if he had just heard the very last thing he wanted the redhead to say. "But... Akashi-kun was the one who sent me after him," his voice trembled as he gripped the towel Akashi gave him.

More. "That's right... That was his last chance," Akashi began. "He" did know that Kuroko will fail in the end, but "he" still let the bluenette follow his whims. This is what you call useless effort, isn't it? How kind of you, dear brother. "A plate that has been cracked will never be whole again. Even so, you can use it if you repair it, and if it was necessary, I'd expend the effort on it, but..." Simply put, what was once broken can never return to its original form. "There's no need for that anymore. He's still perfectly usable as is. Good work," he ended with an uninterested look.

Kuroko frowned at Akashi's words. "Akashi-kun..." He muttered in disbelief. Did he hear him right? Were his ears playing with him? "What are you saying...?" He asked, the look of incredulity never leaving his face. Akashi-kun won't say something like that. He isn't the type to give up on something– on someone– what's more, his own teammates. "...No..." He quietly murmured, blinking his eyes away of the forming liquid. Lies. This isn't the Akashi-kun I know. This... This isn't the Akashi-kun that I– He hesitated, but he had always felt that Akashi was hiding something... something dark inside of him. "...Who are... you?" He breathed out, his lips trembling. His own voice sounded distant to his ears.

I've been found out, eh? Akashi smirked, lauding the bluenette's impeccable observance. "I'm Akashi Seijuurou, of course," he said, his bangs shadowing his eyes. Raising his head, he met Kuroko's eyes. "Te... tsu... ya." His irises were of vivid red and gold.