Chapter Eleven: Furious

"Mirror, mirror on the wall," said Evelyn, gazing into the long, beautiful glass mirror perched against a wall. What Evelyn expected out of the mirror was the genderless face, staring back at her. But none other than hers was reflected. "Mirror, mirror, on the wall!" she repeated angrily. Evelyn gritted her teeth. "Orb of Irredess!" she screamed. Restless, she thrust her hand into the glass of the mirror, shards flying everywhere. "It's gone!"
Her emotions cooling down, Evelyn picked up a glass shard from the floor. She peered into it. The little thief, she thought. But who was it? Once she caught a glimpse of her own reflection, she smirked wickedly. "I'll show them who's the fairest of them all."
***
It's my second day of school at WHS, and I'm still a little lost about where to go in the school to transition from class to class. Belle and Rose have offered to give me a tour, but Raven is a little hesitant because of our little blow - up in the bathroom. I decide to ignore her obnoxious attitude, since after all, I don't like to be around grouchy people.
WHS is actually a pretty decent school, and most of the people here are not fairy tale characters. I'm not sure if they know about the sick world, but I don't want to risk asking. What I love most is the gigantic school library— it's bigger than our gym! Of course, there are a few downfalls of WHS. For example, our gym coach wants to expand the gym, which, unfortunately, means to take down part of the library. And of course, there's Isaac Moonliet, who's still getting on my last nerve.
What I've learned about Isaac is that Jordan isn't the only sibling he has. There's an entire family! There are four other siblings named Taylor, Dwight, Austin, and Cole. They all have the same shade of skin, sort of a medium - brown, and the dark brown hair, if you don't count Jordan. All of the siblings have different personalities; Isaac is definitely a trouble maker, Jordan is a tough gal, Taylor is dreamy and girly, Austin is smart and creative, and Cole is dark and mysterious. You do not want to mess with them. They're all very close and I'm assuming they'd all die for each other.
Isaac is always around me, for some reason now. Not in a good way, though. He's always pestering me, trying to gain my attention. Why can't he take a hint and go away?
Today I decided to go back to the antique shop, and that's where I'm headed now. Both of my parents are busy looking for jobs in Witchburn, so I'm free to go wherever I want. I don't think Ella would agree on taking me to the shop, so I can't ask for a ride. So I walk. Again.
I remember exactly where the antique shop used to be before it disappeared. I turn left away from Magisto Motel, which is exactly where I went the last time. It's a quiet and peaceful walk to the shop. I notice how beautiful Witchburn is, even in the winter. The thick snowflakes drifting from the sky, coating the ground in soft, white, powder...
My sentiments are interrupted by a loud "hey!" coming from behind me. I'm so distracted in the pretty snow, I nearly jump when the voice calls. I turn to face the person calling me. Is it the police? The FBI? Of course not.
It's Isaac.
I groan when I see his face, unhappy to be seeing him for the ten millionth time in my life. "Go away," I mumble, speed-walking back down the sidewalk. Isaac tails me. "Wait, Bianca!" I keep walking, my pace constantly gaining speed. I suddenly walk too fast, and I trip over my own feet. I hear a chuckle erupt from Isaac. "It's not funny," I say, getting to my feet. All of a sudden, a car comes speeding out of nowhere, sipping past the sidewalk. Startled, I fall over again, not expecting to see the fast car. Isaac is really laughing now, he's standing on one foot. But once he sees that I'm not entertained, he stops. "Sorry," he apologizes. I swat my hand in the air. "Just help me up."
His hand outstretches to where I've fallen on the sidewalk. I grasp it as he pulls me up. Isaac pulls me up a little to quickly, because when I come up, I end up right in front of his face. I feel his breath on me. Every little detail of his face becomes noticeable. His bangs sweeping across his forehead, shaping his face perfectly. I gaze into his eyes for a mid-second, but snap away when I realize what's going on.
Awkward.
I have no idea what's going on in his head right now. Is he embarrassed? Startled? Grossed - out? All at once? He runs his hands through his hair, gritting his teeth. I blush, scratching my head. Isaac then grins. "We've got a bossy one here," he teases. I arch an eyebrow. "What?" Isaac rolls his eyes, entertained. "You didn't even say 'please'."
Let me get this straight. This stalker dude knocks me over, helps me up, engages in a little sappy moment and all he worries about is 'please'?
Please.
Pun not intended.
"Whatever, I gotta go," I grunt, walking away, then picking up in a run. I'm not looking back to see if Isaac is following me. I'm just focused on getting to the antique shop. I forget that Isaac is a werewolf, and he catches up to me in an instance. He runs beside me. "What now?" I say, still running and staring ahead. "Where are you going?" he inquires. I stop, wheezing for air. "The an... huff... tique shop," I say. I give up. This guy will always follow me. "There's a new location," he tells me. "It moves every time."
"How do you know?" I challenge. Isaac pffts. "Come with me and I'll prove it to you." Isaac pulls me in the opposite direction of where I'm going. It's the way to the family restaurant. Because of his ultimately speedy running, we get to Antiques Galore in no time. It's a few units away from the restaurant. "We're here," Isaac gloats smugly. Okay, I gotta admit, that little trip was a bit impressive. But I'm still focused on getting to Quinn. When I see that fairy godmother, I'm going to give her a little life lesson on being "Good".
"Bye. Thanks for the 'ride'." I finger quote "ride". "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Isaac stops me, mid-step. "I should go with you," he offers. I shake my head. I've already had enough of this guy. "That wasn't a question," he argues. I sigh. "Fine," I hiss. "But don't say a word. Or else, I will go on my own," I threaten. Isaac pretends to zip his lip and throw out the key. "Promise?'' I say.
"Promise."
I push the door open, peering in cautiously. I see the normal antique shop that I saw last time. But as soon as I step in, an incredible force sends me flying back, ramming into Isaac. Thankfully, he doesn't fall over. Instead, he catches me. "You better be careful," he warns. I exhale sharply. "What did I tell you?" Isaac shrugs and puts up his hands in surrender. Approaching the door carefully, I stick my finger past the door frame. There's an invisible shield that sends a glowing ripple out from where my finger touches. Pulling back my finger, I rack my brain for a solution. "Any idea what this is?" I ask Isaac. He doesn't respond. "You can talk now," I command, unimpressed. Isaac smiles. "It's an invisible shield," he explains. "The fairy godmother must've cast it to keep others out."
Magic again? Well, I'm going on a trip to find my best friend who's in the hands of Cinderella's fairy godmother, so what do I expect? "How do I get in?" I inquire. Isaac strokes his chin in thought. "It needs some sort of chant. A codeword, maybe," he suggests.
A codeword. "Magic?" I try. Nothing happens.
"Fairies?"
"Enchanted?"
Then it hit me. The fairy godmother is a user of Good magic, and passwords are something unexpected, like what I read in Solving It. What has something to do with Evil magic? There are many objects that are evil that I've seen in movies. I try all of them.
"The Eye of Sauron?"
"Voldemort?"
None of those work, then I realize it's probably something that exists.
"The Orb of Irredess."
The cloak of protection is visible that it's fading away, making it possible to enter. Once Isaac and I step in, the shop looks different. It's no longer scattered with old objects and artwork, it resembles a hospital. Isaac and I seem to be standing at the main floor of the hospital. I notice that there's a variety of people of all ages walking around with IV tubes and hospital gowns. I recognize a few people from Starfish High.
No.
It can't be.
"Quinn!" I call, starting after the unbelievably pretty girl walking away from us with an IV tube. "Quinn!" I repeat, totally ditching Isaac at the entrance. After the third call, Quinn finally stops and stares right through me. "Quinn, it's me," I say, placing my hand on her shoulder. There's just one problem: LACK OF A SHOULDER. My hand goes right through the "shoulder" and the rest of her figure glows bright yellow for a second. "Huh?" I mumble, frazzled. Is this some sort of joke?
My best friend continues to stare through me. "You were so close," she says, her voice monotone. "Who are you?" I demand, my voice cracking. "What have you done to her? What have you done to my best friend?" I say to the, um, thing. She smiles warmly. I see the flash in her eyes— the same flash I saw in the fairy godmother's eyes that told me that she was trustworthy. "Your friend is safe," the person tells me. I sigh of relief. "Do not worry, we have not kidnapped her. We must keep her hidden from everyone else. She is meant to save the world; we see great potential in her. We are Good. No harm will come to anyone."
"What? Who's we? What do I do until then?" I babble. Quinn doesn't respond and disappears into a flash of white-yellow.
Dropping to the floor on my knees, I bury my face into my palms. I'm back in the original antique shop, alone with Isaac. I am never going to find Quinn, I might as well give up. Isaac approaches me, kneeling down beside me. "Are you okay?" he asks. "Go away," I whine. He's the last person that I want to see right now. "I'm not talking to you. You think everything's a joke."
Isaac, shockingly, refrains from laughing and stays silent. "It's okay," he assures me. "You'll find your friend." He gently strokes my arm peacefully. This is the first time he's ever done something sympathetic to me. I wipe my tears, stand up, and dust myself off. He's right. I will find her. I won't give up.
I decide to head back home to get some rest. My tailbone aches now from the force of the invisible shield. Once I arrive at our motel room, Mom and Dad are sitting on the bed on their computers. They don't notice me walk in. "Hi?" I say. Dad looks up from his computer. "Oh, hi," he breathes. They look stressed out. I remember the Mirror, still in the bathroom. I really need to pee. But I can't risk going in there, because I'll see that genderless face again!
Yet again, I can't just hide from the bathroom because of a ridiculous mirror! I'm just gonna go in. And if the Mirror happens to start talking to me, I'll just let it go. Stepping in the bathroom, I take a short glance at the reflection. Should I? No...
"Mirror, mirror on the wall."
WHOOSH. The reflection once again erupts into the pale blue smoke, revealing the genderless face. I decide to conquer all my fears and face the mirror bravely. "Yes, Your Majesty?" it asks. I take a deep breath, preparing for the worst. "Show me Evelyn," I command, in a military-like voice. The Mirror nods and another reflection transitions into the mirror. It shows, Evelyn, the sweet waitress from the family restaurant, setting a house on fire recklessly. Vengeance and determination shows on her face, revealing the true Evil she has in her.
Horrified, I ask the Mirror, "why is she doing this?" I did not expect this from her. I watch painfully as flames shoot from her bare hands, bursting the roof shingles of the house into flames. "Anger," sounds the Mirror. "Why?" I ask. If I were angry, I wouldn't cope with it by burning down a house! "She's lost something very important to her. Something to help her succeed in her life," it explains.
Everything, all the information I've learned, starts to rush back into my brain. I have the Magic Mirror. The Mirror belongs to the evil queen. The evil queen is Evelyn. Great! 'Tis the season to kill Bianca! "She wants you, doesn't she?" I say to the Mirror. The Mirror stays silent. "What am I going to do? She is the most powerful thing in the world and wants to kill me, an Australian high school student?" I rant.
She is the most powerful, right?
"Actually," the Mirror replies. "There is someone more powerful."
Score! "Who is it ?" I inquire. The Mirror shuts its' eyes, deep in thought. "The fairy godmother," it notes. "The power of the Good will always overpower Evil. Especially the power of the fairies." Of all the powerful people, the fairy godmother has to be the most? To be honest, I don't have the greatest experience with that flying insect. She stole my best friend for the sake of this "sick world", smashed the Orb of Irredess and "whooshed" me out of her shop onto the hardest concrete in this whole planet. Now I'm supposed to ask her to save my life?
"Where is the fairy godmother?" I ask. The Mirror cackles. "I may show you a lot, but my powers do have their limits," it warns. I frown. "What do you mean?" I ask. "To find this information, you must seek who the fairy godmother trusts most," the Mirror says. I stare at the ceiling, thinking of all the possible people that the fairy godmother could trust. "Cinderella?" I ask.
"No," the Mirror says. "The fairy godmother never received her thanks from Cinderella. Unfortunately, who the fairy godmother trusts is an old friend from the land of fairy tales, and is a very dangerous and persuasive man," it corrects. "Is he in this world?" I say. "Yes. In the fairy tale world, he goes by the name of a Prince Charming," the Mirror tells me.
Prince Charming. Charm, Char...
Charlie. It has to be Charlie.
I thank the Mirror for the help and run downstairs to the concierge.