Chapter 27

I spent the whole day wondering what Jacob meant by “Karma can be a bitch.” He clearly meant that to me… since he added the part about how I was getting what I deserved.

      But that’s what confused me. What did I do to deserve this? Nothing that I could think of. Jacob and I were fine one day and then all of a sudden he’s mad at me the next and then he turns evil the day after!

      I still didn’t even know what happened between us before he turned into a Raakshyan.

      I sighed and leaned back in my chair.

      “Aathiray?” I heard Mr. Odyssey call.

      “Yes sir?” I asked, looking up.

      We were having a work period today because we had presentations to work on… and clearly I wasn’t working.

      “Can I speak to you after class?”

      I hesitated. “Er… yes, of course.”

      He smiled, and then turned around and walked back to his desk.

      I sighed again, and decided to try and get something done in case he was going to ask me to show him.

      Class was over soon, and I was standing and waiting by his desk while he shut the door.

      “Is something wrong?” I asked, a little stupidly.

      “I got some news from Serpethion and I’m a little bit disappointed in the fact that you didn’t tell me this earlier.”

      “This… as in the fact that—”

      “The man who saved you was Aarvind.” He sounded tense… but at the same time, strangely excited.

      “I’m sorry… I just didn’t know how Kero would react.”

      “I feel like it would have been better to hide this from Keroshan for now and told me instead.”

      I nodded, feeling a little upset. He was right.

      “But forget that for now. Is there anything important that he told you?”

      I shook my head. “The only ‘important’ thing was ‘Serpethion isn’t the enemy’ and that was it. That was all he said.”

      Mr. Odyssey sighed. “That’s just like him. To confuse everyone. It used to be amusing to him when we were children.”

      “Were you all very close?” I asked.

      “Pull up a chair.” He said. “Knowing you, you’re not going to leave until you get all the answers.”

      I smiled, pulled over a chair and sat down. “So, were you two very close?”

      “Very, very close. Best friends.” He said. “We grew up together. Chirpy’s father, Darius, Aarvind and I.”

      “Since you guys were best friends, you must have known much about the relationship between Kero’s parents… right?”

      Mr. Odyssey smiled. “Much indeed.” He said. “Though Aarvind liked to confuse the living daylight out of us, Thara was quite the talker. She explained everything to us in excruciating detail.”

      “Thara?”

      “Keroshan’s mother, Thara.”

      “Oh.” I said. That was a nice name. “So, what was their relationship like?”