Chapter Three: Oddity

~Pitch's POV~

Theme: The Postal Service - This Place is a Prison

I left the room, and returned to the bridge. My thoughts ran unbridled, exploring things I never had before. Rampaging Jack in ways I had never craved before. I was dissuaded at first, but as my mind roamed, it became quite fascinating. A new form of torture. It would provide entertainment for me and fear mingled with agony for Jack.

'You actually did it, didn't you?' Ivy's voice took me by surprise. I hadn't realized that she waited for me.

'Yes, and you should've seen the look on his face,' I continued with a grin, 'You could smell the fear coming from him. It was exhilarating!'

'Well, sounds fun. I can't believe you cut him.'

Laughing hysterically, I spoke, 'I didn't just cut him. I carved my initials into him. It was fun, really.'

Ivy's face turned to disgust. 'I'm sorry, but that crossed a line, Pitch. What are you going to do next? Stuff him?'

'Taxidermy is a last resort,' I commented sarcastically with a smirk. I watched her cautiously as she turned and the shadows enveloped her.

'Don't do anything drastic, Father, please. I won't come back home if you do.'

And she was gone. Damn it! Why was I always driving people away?? I sighed, alone and distraught. Well, I could go back to torturing Jack, or I could track Ivy down... My options were limited. Jack's probably healed up by now. I could go and badger him some more. I snorted and made my way back to the cell that I had put Jack in. I phased through the shadows into the dim room. Jack was curled in the corner, bloodstains on what was left of his tattered hoodie. He was clearly healed, his arm looking normal.

'Back for more?' His voice was strong, but had a frail edge to it.

I considered this for a moment. 'Yes. And no.'

He turned toward me. I held back a gasp. Jack's face was literally paper white. Chagrin washed through me. What have I done?? Ivy warned me. But I didn't think it had been this bad. I stood, flabbergasted. I truly had crossed a moral line. Jack looked like death warmed over. And it hurt. And then it hit me. My hatred wasn't hatred. It was passion and jealousy. Mixed together, the two emotions had fueled this... monstrosity. I fell to my knees.

And an odd sensation came to my eyes. And I wept.

This got Jack's attention.

'You're.... crying?' He spoke cautiously. And with consternation too.

My body heaved as the waves came, they pounded against me, eroding my shell. I had hurt Jack very badly.

And it couldn't be taken back.

~Jack's POV~

Pitch cried.

Well, rather, shadows ran down his face and he made sobbing noises. It concerned me. He had never broken down like this before.

Not in the Dark Days. Not when he found his daughter, Ivy, to be alive. Not even once.

I spoke slowly, not understanding the thing before me. 'You're.... c-crying??'

And he continued to sob. It was a very hard thing to watch.

'Pitch?' I spoke cautiously, and unsteadily got to my feet. The newly formed scars on my chest stretched uncomfortably. I let out a small gasp as I made my way over to the trembling mass that was Pitch.

I took each step carefully, unsure if he was tricking me.

A faint, 'I'm sorry, Jack,' came from the black mass.