Chapter 2 - Simple plan

“Wh… where… ugh, my head…”

Fire slowly got to his feet, shaking off the thing that was still clinging on to him. He smiled. It was kind of cute, once you got used to it. It seemed to trust him. However, right now, it appeared to be knocked out cold. Fire cradled it in his arms and started walking.

“Now, all we need to do is find a jungle,” Fire muttered, brushing away the vines that obscured his vision. “Phew, it’s getting hot in here. Ooh! Cocoa beans! Fancy something to eat, Cookie?”

The little creature woke up abruptly. It meowed loudly, and Fire realised what he had just said. “Cookie! Your name is Cookie!”

Cookie swiftly clambered up a nearby tree and jumped down, holding some cocoa beans in his mouth. “What do I use this for?” Fire said blankly, prising them away from Cookie. “In fact… how do I even know anything about this place?”

“Don’t question it,” came a hushed voice, and Fire turned around to see a guy called Rage slowly retreating behind a tree.

“Uh… I won’t?” Fire said, before turning back to Cookie. “So, I guess this is goodbye. But, before you go… I just want to say one thing…”

Cookie looked at Fire expectantly. Fire looked to the heavens, and screamed at the top of his voice: “AND IIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOOOOOO –”

“STOP!” Cookie yelled.

“You talk?” Fire said, slightly taken aback. Cookie just stared. “Funny. For a second I thought you were complaining about my singing. Here we go again…”

“Okay, yes, I can talk!” Cookie shouted. “Just… please, stop singing!”

“How can you say such a thing?” Fire whispered, his voice cracking, about to break into tears.

“Yeah, yeah–”

“I need to sing another emotional song…”

“I TAKE IT BACK! SPARE ME!”

“But seriously we need to say goodbye now,” Fire said. Cookie gave him the puppy eyes (well, kitty eyes, which are even more adorable).

“Okay, you win!” Fire said eventually.

“Now, where can we find some obsidian?” Fire mused. Running out of the jungle, he found a huge desert. Right in front of him was a lava lake, only a couple blocks away from a small pool in the jungle. “Well, that was convenient.”

Fire broke away the blocks separating the lava and water, and smiled when the two met to form obsidian. “Now to break it away… using these fists!” Fire beamed.

~o~O~o~

“So… tiring…” Fire panted, sloppily attacking the obsidian. “I need… a break…”

“You don’t need a break… the block does!” Cookie laughed.

“Yes I do,” Fire said.

“Nuh uh.”

“Yuh huh.”

“Don’t start this.”

“Okay, I’ll stop.”

“Good.”

“Phew.”

“No, wait!”

It was too late. Fire collapsed on the ground with an exhausted sigh. “You were saying?”

“I was gonna say, you lose all your progress if you stop…”

“WHAT!?”

Fire rushed to the obsidian. “No no no… this isn’t possible…”

“It’s not that–”

“HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO MEEEE! I MADE MY MISTAAAAAAKES! GOT NOWHERE TO RUUUUUUN…”

“No. Just no.”

“I’m gonna fly around for a bit…”

“See ya… selfish.”

“See ya… no wings.”

Fire flew high up in the air. “I need friends,” he muttered. “Oooh, that looks pretty!” he said, looking at the sun in the sky. “Owwww! Hmm, I should show my enderman friends… let’s get it!”

Fire flew higher and higher. “Phew, it’s getting hotter… I must be getting close!”

Smoke rose into the air as he kept on flying. He sniffed. “What’s that smell?”

Then suddenly, fierce flames obscured his vision, and Fire screamed. He raised his arms to brush away the flames, but it only spread to his hands as well. Searing heat attacked his skin, and he looked down to see it being bleached a pure white. The purple markings on his body were set alight, and although the flames quickly faded, red burn scars remained. “I have to keep flying!” Fire told himself determinedly. However, the fire had spread to his wings, and moving them intensified the flames. Then the fire started eating away at them, burning through the thin skin. Fire screamed again as he plummeted down, down, down, back to Earth.