Chapter 6

Chapter 6

From the moment she looked up at the house, I recognized her. I remained hidden and watched her approach the window, coaxing her to keep going. She was hesitant at first and even attempted to leave, but I brought her back, admiring her delicate features as she slid through the open frame. Her beauty took my breath away and it was everything I could do not to reach out and touch her long, honey strands as they dropped off her shoulder.

She drifted around the room, gliding her fingers across the mantle as if reminiscing about another time from years gone by. I hoped so badly she would recognize this house. I yearned to be the one she was touching. Decades have come and gone since I have felt her caress and I wanted more with each second we spent together.

So I made her stay.

My hands were within inches of her face. I could feel the warmth radiating from her beautiful skin. Almost instantly her eyes closed as I cradled her to the floor. Her soft flesh awoke a hunger in me—the kind of hunger a man feels for a woman. Her beauty was intoxicating and I came so close to kissing her enchanting lips, but I forced myself to pull back. I could not risk it; I must gain her trust first.

I held her close to me, savoring the feel of her body close to mine when without warning, troubling images slammed into my head. I could see what she saw and feel what she felt.

An overflowing river of sadness and anger crashed all around us and I understood—her world is dark. As I glimpsed into her past it made my connection with her even stronger. When I searched even deeper, I discovered that it is her own mother who is the burden of her torment. Intimidating and belittling her with words and actions, taking away the essence of the joyful girl she once was.

My rage became an entity of its own while I watched her dreadful memories play over and over.

I must help her.

I must protect her.

And I will, very soon.