2: Is This Goodbye?

Is This Goodbye?

Davis and I were there the day we were to graduate. A class of 117, 2003, Healing High School. 3 had failed; 2 had disappeared. Davis and I were the 2 of course. After what happened to us, we didn’t dare let anyone we knew see us. What could they do anyway?

I watched my brother walk on stage. Marcus Rite. I imagined that it was I on that stage, getting that diploma. It wasn’t too far of a stretch. There was a tribute... to Davis and I. It was odd. We were there to see our own tribute. Our own death in a way. There was sadness. I could see my parents, crying. My brother’s head was bowed, and he was shaking. I couldn’t stand it, but how could I face what had happened?

We had stayed the previous night in the auditorium, in case the light was still shining when commencement started. After the ceremony, Davis and I went back to Healing Hospital. When you’re dead, you seem to travel rather quickly if needed. However, Healing tradition always called for parties, and somehow Healing Hospital always became a drinking spot for young people. I couldn’t bring myself to hurt anyone, but Davis likes to play games. No one died. A few bites and some sexual pleasure... nothing big. Not for Davis at least.

While Davis had his fun, I went off. Maybe, I could face my brother with what had happened. Maybe he could know the truth. I just wanted him to know.

It wasn’t difficult to find Marcus. He was at Michelle’s party, but this time far away from her sister, unlike the week before I became what I am now. I figured things had changed. My brother wasn’t one to commit. The odd thing was, my brother wasn’t around anyone. People would come up, talk for a bit, but he just stood there, staring off into some unknown world. I never understood that world, until I became it.

I watched him walk outside, towards the stream that ran through almost every part of this town. I walked out, from behind a tree, in plain sight of my brother. He did little to react. He stopped, and stared, obviously haunted by an image he had probably seen in his dreams.

“You could never know how much I need you, Luke. You were my life, man. You were my bro. No matter how far apart we grew, you were still there. Every time I look I look into the mirror, all I see is you. I’m not even there anymore. I’m not even there.” I lowered my head, and he began to turn away.

“Wait.” He stopped. “I have so much to say to you. So much has happened to me; things you couldn’t even begin to understand.” He turned around, questioning me with his eyes. Then, tears filled his eyes... fell from his eyes, and he walked closer to me. I nodded. “I’m here, but please... don’t say anything until I’m finished.” He nodded, and hugged me, waiting for my story.

I told him about the girl, and even the boy who had somehow seduced me. I told him about Davis, and where we had been, the evil we had done. I told him we could never see each other again, no matter how much we wanted to. It would be dangerous. A vampire is no type of person to get involved with, even if he is your brother.

He stared at me a long time after I was done. Then he kissed me. I pushed him away, and looked at him.

“I’ve needed you for so long, and now that you’re here, what else am I supposed to do? I don’t want you to leave again. If you have to go take me with you.” He pushed his body against mine, kissing me again, deeply, holding my face against his. The sweet taste of blood rushed into my mouth, and I hungered, I lusted, I craved... I pushed him away. He knew full well what he was doing, but he had no idea the consequences. I ran off, faster than any eye could see. I must get as far away as possible as soon as possible. But the night was almost done. Davis and I must rest. We must not let the sun catch up with us.

The sun had fallen. I knew that much. I could feel it in my blood. Is it even my blood anymore? I don’t understand how my body could function without the proper nutrients. Science had no way of proving we existed, but they sure had a good case against us. But here I am.