3: Bloodline

Bloodline

It was mid-October, the year I became what I am now. The three of us (Davis, my twin Marcus, and myself, Lucas) had arrived in Grace, Tennessee care of three horses taken from a small farm in Western Kentucky. I had named my black mare Memory. My brother and Davis decided that the horses were a good keep, and they also named theirs. My brother had a black and white stallion (Khan), and Davis a brown and white mare (Care).

There was an abandoned barn on the outside of town where we would stay, and where we would keep the horses. It was a great way to travel the countryside by night. I had never ridden a horse before this, nor the others being raised as we were at the turn of the twenty-first century.

By the second night Davis had found himself a toy. A tall, young man with curls of dark brown and hints of auburn. He was quite handsome, and probably 19 or 20 with a boyish, innocent charm about him. Davis enjoyed his games, his midnight rendezvous, and the little tastes of sweet flesh he got every night. We were all careful to make sure our identities were never discovered, and we never took more than we needed to survive.

Mark and I took to the streets that first week. Before long, Mark was out on his own with one girl or another, as he had always been. Male flesh never tasted as sweet to Marcus. He said that I was all he desired, and he had me for eternity, so now he must hunt for what he needed. I only nodded, and let him go his way.

I kept myself occupied, eyeing the youngsters, and the not so youngsters, of the nightlife. I bought what I needed after sunset or before sunrise, knowing full well that in a town as wild as this, there were stores opened and willing to sell. I didn’t need anything of course, but I very well couldn’t let the poor horses starve. There was money, of course, from previous victims, or money my brother and I, or Davis, had saved from jobs or whatever we happened to get money from. It was coven money now, but we were hardly a coven without our leader. The moment I was born into this life, or death if you will, I was given memories and knowledge. There was very little I understood, but one thing we all agreed on, was that Adrian was the leader, the eldest of us all, including the two others who did his bidding.

I could not blame him for abandoning me. I understood that I must understand this life before falling into the darker side of what I must become. Unlike Adrian, I knew sun could not kill me, or the others. The light harmed me; hurt my eyes, made me itch, but would never kill me. It would only torture me, knowing that I must hide before my disfigurement became a permanent occurrence. I had only enough vampire blood in me to keep me going, keep me starving for blood. I knew that, one day, we would all meet up with Adrian and become a family, a coven.

After a week of caring for the animals I loved and wandering the streets, a stranger appeared to me. Of course, everyone I met here was a stranger to me, and probably always would be, but this was no ordinary stranger. She walked out from an alley, and turned to me, walked to me, then held me in her arms. Did she think I was someone else? Or did she know me? Had I seen her someplace before? I could do nothing but embrace her, until she let go.

“I have been waiting my entire life for you to come to me. And now it has happened.” She smiled softly, and took my hand in hers, leading me into the alley from which she had appeared.

Her dark red hair flowed behind her tall, voluptuous frame. I’m 6’ and she had to be at least 5’11”. Her stomach was small and soft, and in her bosom I could feel her heart pumping. I wanted to take her right then, but I wanted to know what she wanted from me. Not far down the alley was a wooden staircase to a second story door of one of the buildings.

“You must follow me. You will be safe up here.” We climbed the stairs and entered a large, dark, vacant room. I didn’t question her. I just followed her across the room into a small hallway, around the corner, and into what looked to be a bedroom. She closed the door and stared. It was then she decided to explain herself.