Dawn of the Dane [Part 1]

The moon glistened against the water on the beach shore. It rushed over my toes, the wind flying through my hair. It was an amazing night, perfect temperature. I smiled happily, my blond curls tussling into my face. I shook them away, turning slowly. I began to walk down the beach, still in the waters' path. No one else was out here, not right now at least. The massive island was undiscovered by mortals; lazy, stubborn humans.

The sand was blowing slightly, for the wind was a bit strong tonight.

"What are you doing out here?" A husky, deep voice asked behind me. I continued walked, not turning my head at all to reply.

"What's it to you?" I asked, sympathy in my tone. I was hoping I could spend the night alone out here.

He chuckled, pacing up to me. "It's almost 3 a.m.," he began. "You should get back to the den." He flicked my hair out of my face when he finished speaking.

I shook his hand away, turning my attention to him. "I'll race you," I challenged. He smirked. "You know you're gonna lose," he replied. In a flash, he leaped forward, shifting into his wolf form, dashing down the shore. Immediately, I followed. His hazel fur ruffling in the wind, my long blond fur doing the same.

'How far our are we?' I thought silently.

'Not that far.' He thought in reply. 'We'll be there soon.'

I nodded, putting myself into full speed. Knowing Daren, he was definitely not in full speed. He was the fastest of the pack, so even though everyone knew they'd always lose, they all had their minds set on beating him in a race. He always played fair, not cheating to let anyone win, even if he favored you.

'Ashtyn, look out!' He yelped in his mind. But I was too late. I stumbled over the rock, hidden by sand, looking simply like a mound. I heard him let out a gruffly laugh as he trotted over.

'You okay there?' He chuckled as he thought.

I glared at him, turning away. 'Fine, thanks for asking.' I replied, sounding a bit more curt than I had intended.

Daren grinned, dashing off towards the cave. I snarled, taking off after him. The sunrise was already starting - how long had we been out? The cave slowly came into view, and we finally came to the area. We said our goodnights, curling up to sleep...

Chapter One

I awoke with a start, a bushy black tail muffled in my face. I sneezed, waking the sleepy wolf.

'Ugh, Ashtyn, go back to sleep.' The newer member, Jayden, whined, placing her head back down on her paws.

'Then keep your tail out of my face,' I seethed, settling back down. I placed my head on my paws, but my position was different, so Jayden and I formed a T shape. I stared at the members of the pack, noticing that the Alpha, Colin, was also awake. I lifted my head, padding over to him.

'Colin, what's wrong?' I thought, knowing the others wouldn't hear. I knew he was in love with me, and my friend Julia, but he never could make up his mind.

'Ashtyn, don't take this the wrong way but... I am pretty sure I am going to choose Julia..' He began. 'Don't be angry or disappointed or anything, I just... I've made up my mind. I hope this won't change things between us.'

I was angry all right. 'Wont change anything? Excuse me, but I'm carrying our pups, that I didn't even ask for, that you forced me to have, and now your choosing Julia? What kind of sick mutt are you!?' I snarled, tackling him with hostility, no where near the playful side we always shared.

Hostility grew in him. 'It was what you wanted, to have pups. I was trying to make you happy. As your alpha, I demand you to get off.' He seethed, shoving his back paws into my stomach, lurching me off. He glared at me, and I sighed as I pounded out of the cave.

I decided relentlessly to go hunting. I walked off towards the woods, trying to save my energy for hunting. It was dawn, so I assumed I could find some deer. I froze where I was, sniffing the air. I caught a scent, following the trail. I dashed down the hill, spotting the doe nearby. I crouched, slowly getting closer. When I was close enough, I made the pounce, sinking my teeth into the neck of the animal before it could get away.

It dropped to the ground, and I released my grasp as it did. I watched into its eyes, thanking it for the food it would supply, and wishing it save travel to the heavens. It barely nodded, closing its eyes. It's sides stopped moving, and I began to eat, saving the head and legs. With those, I buried them in the ground on the death place, sacrificing it for my thanks.

I felt the urge to go back to the beach, so, I went there. No reason really, just a sudden urge... I didn't exactly know why. I sighed as I walked towards the shores of The Island of Tithenderen. My paws placed firmly on the edge of the water, I sat down right where I was, shivering a bit at the coldness of the water.

I titled my head down, looking at my reflection in the clear water. I was so calm at that point, that uncontrollably, I morphed back to my human form. I yelped in anger and surprise as the cold water seeped through my shorts. I jumped up, leaving the water quickly. I sighed, mostly annoyed with myself, but also still a bit annoyed with Colin.

I mean, yeah, he had his reasons. But still, why her? I'm the mother of his pups, and he chooses her? I just didn't get it. But I probably never would. Even still, being a werewolf is still amazingly confusing. And who would expect so much drama coming from a bunch of wolves? As a human, I'd imagined werewolf life was simple and easy, judging by things I found on Google. But experiencing it for real... That's what really shows you what it's like. That's how you know the truth.

I had fallen asleep on the beach, and when I awoke, Daren was there, his head laying on my stomach. I poked his head, trying to wake him without angering him too much. He grumbled as his eyes opened, noticing that it was I who'd woken him. It was getting late, so I suggested he go back to the cave.

"I'll be there in 25 minutes. If not, come find me." I assured him. He sighed reluctantly, but nodded. He morphed, dashing off. I sighed in relief - I was alone again. I noticed a pathway nearby that I hadn't noticed before as I turned. I shrugged, walked towards it. I began walking, the stone path was a bit odd. I arrived in what looked like a library.

A black blur whizzed past me, and I gasped. I heard a low breathing sound behind me, and a mass of black darkness poured over me, devouring me into the black nothingness. My scream of agony was all to be heard.

[End of Part 1. Notice - this currently isn't a novel. If it is liked enough and is requested by many people, then I may make it one.]