Chapter 1 (new)

♍

NEVADA LIGHTS RECOVERY HIGH SCHOOL

Ten Minutes Outside Las Vegas, Nevada

They only let Virgo walk to school because she promised to keep her location on. Her phone was barely smart enough for GPS and Google Maps, but she wanted some freedom to her name after all the years she'd spent in lock-up, so she agreed. She was going through her Google Alerts. Big Mistake.

News of her release had been the talk of the True Crime Community for months. She'd read enough in the correctional library to know her parole release wouldn't go unremarked just because she was seventeen and had apparently turned over a new leaf. A non-murdering, peaceful contributor to society leaf. At least that was what she'd said to the parole board when she'd begged to be let out.

Virgo wanted to be a person again instead of a number in a cheap polyester jumpsuit. She wanted a life and a future. There wasn't a life to be had in corrections, and certainly not for a girl transferring from juvenile corrections to adult prison. She'd bided her time and played her good behavior cards right. She'd been a 'positive role model' for the other inmates and a had 'assisted the administration' in making her Wyoming correctional facility 'safer and more secure.' In other words, she'd snitched when it suited her. She had the snitches-and the release date-to prove it.

She'd lost count of the number of amateur podcasts she'd heard talking about her and her crimes. They hung on every word of her trial transcripts, poring over everything said for meaning Virgo couldn't give her actions seven years later and this much grown. She'd done a bad thing and was living with it. Didn't mean she was sorry, but that was nobody's business but hers.

She rolled up on the curb outside Nevada Lights Recovery High School with half an hour to spare. There was plenty of time to grab an early breakfast, maybe even make a friend or two. Virgo wasn't holding her breath.

She switched to the previous episode of Criminal Insanity, one that wasn't about her, and climbed the front steps of the high school. There were metal detectors and security guards to go with the security bars on all the windows. Her new home sweet home.