II. The Invite

Lucy stood in front of the mirror, turning this way and that, studying herself. What did she care if she looked good enough? She didn't even know these people, let alone want their approval. 

Still, she stared at the makeup she'd applied, making sure it looked good enough. She fixed her hair to make sure to it landed just right. She sucked in her stomach to look better in her outfit. She tested her shoes to make sure they'd be comfortable enough. 

Since it was a party, Lucy hadn't wanted to look matronly, but she hadn't wanted to show too much off either. Especially since she was going with people that weren't her friends. She'd chosen her skinny black jeans, a simple polyester white tank-top that was slightly too big and skimmed over stomach and hips, a statement necklace with a red rectangular stone in the middle that she loved, and flat black booties. Because she could not walk in heels, and was not even going to pretend to try.

Her doorbell rang loudly, startling her. "Now or never," she murmured. 

Lucy rubbed her lips together (more in nerves than to embed her lipstick), double-checked to make sure her ID, credit card, and key were in her pocket and that her phone was in the other, before she headed to the door. She didn't want to be responsible for a bag. Who knew what this party was actually going to be like. 

Opening the door, there stood John on the other side, his hair gelled into looking a little darker, a smile lighting up his face. He wore a short-sleeved, dark green button-down, jeans, and converse. Was she overdressed? No, she reminded herself, girls always dressed nicer than the guys. If anything, she might be underdressed compared to the other girls who would be there. 

Well, maybe underdressed wasn't quite the right word for her outfit.

"Hey! You look great! Ready to go?" John asked excitedly. 

"Yeah, sure." Lucy took one last look around her apartment to make sure she didn't forget anything and then turned off the light, following him out.

"I'm glad you came tonight. It'll be a lot of fun," John promised.

Lucy merely smiled. 

His friends were waiting in the car. It was a tight squeeze. Three people up front, three in the back including Lucy. She was way too close to John for comfort. The inside was warm and musty and she felt suddenly like she couldn't breathe, suffocating. Everyone was too close, too warm, skin against skin. Too loud. 

"Mind if I crack the window a little?" she asked. 

"Sure, knock yourself out," the driver said, turning onto the street.

She rolled it down a little and greedily breathed in the fresh air outside, a sigh escaping as she exhaled. 

This evening was shaping up to be a fine one already. Lucy couldn't help but think of her book, lying neglected on the coffee table, waiting to be read. 

John introduced each member of the car to her, but Lucy accidentally forgot their names as soon as the next one's was spoken.

"So, change of plans," the driver announced. "Louis told me of this one venue that's supposed to be really cool. It's pretty new, apparently, and has like a rave vibe. He said he was there last weekend and that it was super creepy."

The girl sitting next to him squealed. "Oh my gosh yes! He always knows the best places."

Lucy's eyes widened and she pursed her lips, never one to gravitate towards "creepy." It was going to be a very long night. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They pulled up to what looked like any other club, except the entrance was in a side alley.