Prologue

Hey everyone this is my second book.
Hope you enjoy and don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy!!!

Comments are always appreciated :))

The cloud covered sky shed refused to allow the sun's struggling light from its consuming blackness. The air forcibly moving the tops of the trees lining the street smelled sweet. It wouldn't be long until the sky burst into tears of rain.

Grayson's shoulders were pulled back as he begrudgingly made his way back towards the high school for class. His light brown, wavy hair stuck up in odd places, some longer chunks falling over his forehead. An ugly, toothless, slanted smirk marked his face beneath his shadow covered, hate filled eyes and crooked nose. Grayson's ugly smile fit his ugly personality like a leather glove. A leather glove covered in other's blood. Though no a gang leader, he was the most dangerous person within 1,000 miles on every side. He was no less than a blood thirsty, vengeful sadist. He fed off of people's frightened tears, their screams. He took his energy, his happiness from other's drained blood and broken bones.

Keeping a sharp eye out, Grayson felt a bubbling, vicious excitement in his chest when he spotted a stray mutt curled up in the drainage canal that dipped down from the road. Grayson bent down and snatched a dead stick from next to the street and licked his upper lip.

"Here, you mutt!" he called, waving the stick in the air. The dog lifted it's mangy, mud covered, black head and looked for the cause of the sudden sound. Spotting Grayson and the tantalizing promise of play, the bone thin dog jumped up ran towards Grayson. He ran around the block, still waving the stick behind him, and the dog ran after him, braking happily.

"You're fast for a mutt!" Grayson laughed and picked up a jagged, fist sized stone from the roadside. Without bothering to check his surroundings to see if he was being watched, he threw the heavy stone at the poor animal who was only three yards away, tail wagging.

The rock struck the dog's head. The dog yelped from the pain and swayed before tucking it's tail in between its legs and crawling away. Grayson picked more rocks and threw them at the poor creature until it could not find the strength to crawl anymore and collapsed in the middle of the street. Fat raindrops dripped from the sky.

Grayson smirked contentedly at the injured dog. The traces of adrenaline pumping through his veins left him feeling warm and excited for more pain.

Jane watched this scene of cruelty from the other side of the road, slightly hidden behind a rickety mail box. She couldn't bear the sight of seeing any animal treated with such inhumanity. Her heart felt as though it'd been wrenched from her chest and was now being crushed under foot. Rage boiled up in her throat as hate compelled her to run, without thinking, into the street where the guy stood, ready to throw another rock.

"Are you insane?! Who the hell stones an innocent animal?! I am going to kill you; I should throw stones at your head until you are the one half dead in the middle of the street!" She boldly yanked on his shirt collar, pulling him down to her level.

Grayson didn't push her back, rather he looked into her eyes with dark amusement. It wasn't love at first sight, it was hatred and abhorrence at first glance. Suddenly, Grayson pushed Jane away and tilted his head back, laughing maniacally as rain dropped onto his face.

Laughter ceasing in the blink of an eye, he focused back on Jane and demanded, his voice in a low growl, "Come on, little girl, cry! You're no hero, but I'd love to see you cry because I just killed that dumb mutt over there." He pointed to the motionless lump of black fur in the street.

"You...you asshole! I know you; you're my classmate, damnit!" Jane hated any being who treated animals as if they were just a play thing that was more fun to break than play with.

"I never knew I was so popular!" he chuckled, that ugly killer's smirk returning to his dark features.

Jane scoffed and, refusing to humor the sick minded guy, she ran to where the dog lay and picked it up carefully. She could feel a familiar, warm and sticky liquid seep onto her chest, but she also felt a faint heartbeat.

Turning back, she confronted Grayson once more. "You are going to help me take care of this dog until he is healed, or I won't waste a moment in reporting you to the police for animal abuse!"

"You think you can threaten me and get away with it, little girl?" Grayson stepped forward and snatched her face in his cold hands, squeezing so hard his fingers left indents below her cheek bones.

Jane yanked away from his hold and shouted, "I will do it, you bastard! I'd love to see you struggle behind bars!"

Grayson's expression shifted from smug to spiteful. He knew Jane wasn't bluffing; she never did. He'd hated her since his first day at school because of this; it was so damn hard to break her.