ii. vela family

We rode on the tricycle unpleasantly, covering our noses from the gas. The driver we had was impatient, overtaking and driving in narrow streets where people would beg for money because of our foreign looks (we're 1/2 Filipino, 1/4 German and 1/4 English). Being the kind person my mother is, she gave each of the street children 10 Philippine Pesos, much to the drivers frustration as he had to wait.

After two hours due to traffic, we arrived at my Lola Blossom's house in Rizal. The view was breathtaking as we over looked the mountainous landscape. Lola B lives on a mountain landscaped for a village, where she works selling fresh fruit for juice. She has her own shop entitled: 'Juice ni Blossom'.

I received several greetings from tita's and tito's, whilst they were in awe by how big I've grown and how I'm so 'dalaga' na. A typical Filipino family thing. Even Lola B cried in joy over how big I got; I'll definitely feel at home here.

We entered the radiant yellow house, inquisitive to see what has changed since we were last here, which was a year ago. We noticed that the old roof was replaced with a cheaper, unstable one. Just as I had one foot in the house, my cousins were already excited to play with Nadia, Fabian and me. Kuya kept to himself, playing a game.

Exploring the house, I entered my pastel purple room, still covered with posters of James Reid and Nadine Lustre. [A/N JADINE FOR LIFE MWAHAHAHA!!] The bed sheets were a soft, light yellow colour, whilst on top of them was a banner displaying: "Welcome home Ate Ava! Feel at home here sa Pinas!" coloured in my favourite colours, Fuchsia and Turquoise. I love my family. Kahit hindi sila mayaman, they support one another and that's an important value of being family. I grinned.

After unpacking, I entered the kusina to see a boodle fight being set up by the whole family, I decided to assist them by laying out the leaves and placing the rice on the table. Following after the hastle and several groupies for FaceBook, we attacked the food, everyone laughing and having a pleasant time! My Vela-Sullivan family is the best! All the tita's were gossiping about Tito Fernando, the construction worker newbie living in the village, ranting about how cute he was and how he was 'husband material.' Despite all the fuss and squeals, I wasn't complaining, I feel the same way with him--

No, Ava, you need to focus on your family, especially mom after what happened.

Mang Joel, our next door neighbour, seemed dismayed, staring at Tita Rose, obviously jealous of her obsession with Tito Fernando. I nudged him.

"Ah, Mang Joel, gusto mo mag talk tayo? You seem disappointed po," I questioned politely and caringly.

"Ava, ah, wag na, ok lang ako. Don't worry about Mang Pogi!" He said reluctantly, combing his hair to make it seem like he was ok.

"Ok po, pero kung gusto mo, we can talk about it!" I replied kindly. He grinned. "...and Tita Rose," I muttered and smirked whilst he looked at me embarrassed.

"Don't worry Mang J, if Ava teases you, I'll tease her back with him—" Kuya smirked, trouble glistening in his chestnut brown eyes.

"SHUT UP KUYA!!" I growled ferociously at him like a Lion.

"Calm down, feisty...," He replied, putting his hands up in surrender.

In a millisecond, rain came thudding down from the sky, thunder striking, clouds enveloping the sky in pure darkness. Rapidly, all the tito's ran to retrieve the buckets in order to prevent rain from flooding in the house. Spirits low and frightened. Lola B embraced mom tightly, praying anxiously. We all huddled up in a circle, hoping for the best.

BANG! CLASH!

The roof fell off the house.