Chapter 4

I'm woken from my fitful slumber by a rapid banging on the door. Why is someone knocking in the middle of the night?

"Sang, let us in. We need to talk to you," a voice whispers from the other side of the door. It think it's Sean, but I'm not quite sure. I stumble out of bed and open up the door. Sean, Victor, Luke, and Gabriel are standing anxiously in their night clothes. I usher them inside and close the door behind them.

"Why are you guys here?" I question them. Victor, Luke, and Gabriel look towards Sean, who is apparently acting as their spokesperson.

"We're concerned about Owen. He's acting irrational- we just didn't realize it until you pointed out how flawed our plan was. Unfortunately, he isn't listening to us and will insist tomorrow that you send the message. He confided to me after you left that he isn't afraid to use force to guarantee your cooperation," Sean says gravely. All of the breath whooshes out of me and I feel lightheaded. Force?

"What can I do? I won't send that message! But if I don't send it then he'll just find someone else to," I whisper.

Victor takes this opportunity to speak up. "We have a plan for that. The only problem is that it is sort of... treasonous," he says.

"Treasonous! But the penalty for treason is death!" I shriek. Sean hushes me with a look.

"I know, but us four will use all of our influence to lighten the punishment," Sean explains.

"Does that mean that the other four are siding with Owen?" I ask warily. Sean nods, looking heartbroken.

"They're so caught up with the potential wealth attacking Drathe would give us that they're blinded to Owen's insanity. We tried talking with them, but they made it very clear that they wanted that message sent," Sean says. So there's four trying to help me, and five against me. Not exactly the numbers I was hoping for.

"If it came down to a vote then, I would be convicted," I tell them. Sean raises his hand to stop me.

"Actually, we wouldn't have a vote. In all cases of treason, Owen has the sole power to convict," he says.

I look at Sean, aghast. "Why? That doesn't seem very wise at all!"

"It's supposed to make it so that any of the other eight lords can be convicted of treason should the need arise. Owen was supposed to be... incorruptible. A pillar of righteousness for Caymead," Victor adds. Still seems stupid to me.

I take a deep breath before uttering the sentence that could possibly result in my death. "I'll have to take the risk- what's the plan?"

The four lords look happy that I'll help them, yet saddened by the possible consequences. "It's quite simple, actually. When Owen gives you the message to encrypt, you just have to make it say not to attack Drathe and instead move the army into a position to protect the threatened town," Sean says. That does sound like a good plan, but I'm still caught up on the part where I'm convicted of treason.

"So after I send the message, it'll take a few days to get to General Roberts, right?" I confirm. The lords nod. "So, couldn't I just leave?"

Sean brightens as he realizes my train of thought. "That's perfect! We'll make up some excuse for you to leave, and you can escape to the mountains, or live in the forest, or go to Drathe- anywhere but here. We'll give you plenty of money and some reference material and other resources to help you. As long as you don't get caught by the royal guard, you can live out the rest of your life," The other three lords are also looking more enthusiastic about the plan now that I may not die in disgrace.

"I have a question about the actual encryption," Gabriel says, "How will General Roberts know how to read your message? I mean, it's in code specifically to keep people from reading it."

I smirk at Gabriel. "Don't worry, General Roberts and I go back a long way. When he sees my signature at the end of the message he'll know how to read it." The guys look flabbergasted that I know the premier general in Caymead.

"When have you met General Roberts?" Luke asks.

"He helped me get started with cryptography a couple of years ago after I sheltered him from a Drathenian spy for a few days. We've kept contact with each other ever since," I explain.

"That's so cool! How come I never get to do anything that awesome?" Luke whines.

Sean looks annoyed at the off topic conversation and waves his hand to get our attention again. "Okay, so here's the final plan. Tomorrow, Sang will agree to write the message. However, she'll actually write the modified version stopping a war. Afterwards, she'll leave and hide out somewhere else. We'll have packed bags ready for her and deflect any attention. Got it?" he asks. We all nod somberly. The lords say a brief good bye before heading back to their rooms to sleep. I lay back in bed and fall asleep within seconds, despite my racing thoughts.

The next morning it's still dark when pounding sounds on my door. "Sang! Wake up, get dressed and meet us in the kitchen in ten minutes!" Owen calls out harshly. I want to stay in bed just to irk him, but I know it's important he thinks I changed my mind about helping him.

Eight and a half minutes later I'm standing in the kitchen. It took several wrong turns to find it, but once I recognized a certain painting I got my bearings. Gabriel hands me a plate with bread and cheese and a glass of water.

"Thank you." I tell him.

Owen clears his throat. "So Miss Sang, have you changed your mind in sending the message?" he asks. Time to put my acting skills to use.

"Yes, I realized that I'm not qualified to make decisions about Caymead. You'll have to excuse my behavior last night- I was very tired, and as you know I had just had a major healing take place," I say with mock contrition. Owen looks pleased with my apology. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a crumpled piece of paper.

"I'm glad to hear that. Here's the message for you to encode- I would like to get it sent no later than noon, so please hurry," he says with a smile. I take the piece of paper and follow Sean into an empty room to work.

"Here's scratch paper and a pen. Gabriel is putting your bags in your room right now, so after you're done, give the message to Owen and then grab the bags and leave. I'll make up some excuse about your mother needing you or something," he says grimly.

"Sounds good. Thank you for everything you've done to help me Sean, both with this and the Laeghin," I tell the sandy-haired man. He grins fondly down at me.

"It's been a pleasure getting to meet you. I'm sorry that your stay in Saninom had to be so unpleasant. Once you've settled down somewhere, would you send me a note telling me you're okay? You don't have to say where you are, I just want to know how you're doing," Sean asks.

"I'll do that. Good bye, Sean," I whisper, hugging Sean tight.

"Good bye Sang," Sean walks out of the room and I hold back my tears. There's time to cry later- now it's time to work.

An hour later I've finished the modified message and delivered it to Owen. He thanked me for my service and gave me 200 thawels in payment. I was not sad to leave him- from the gray-eyed fiddler to the corrupt ruler, my opinion of him had plummeted in the past day. When I picked up my baggage from my room Gabriel, Luke, and Victor were waiting for me. My parting with them wasn't as sad as my one with Sean, but it was still emotional.

Now, I'm starting my solo journey down a lonely dirt road. If I turn around I'll be able to see the glory of Saninom, but I resist the urge and fix my gaze firmly in front of me. The Erstof forest rises above me to my right while the twinkling lights of Galveil Village shine from my left, but I have a different target for my exile- the enemy realm of Drathe.