Chapter Five

“Hey, Jeanna, do you wanna grab lunch with the girls?” A short, mousey brunette peered over her red framed glasses at Jeanna, resting her forearms on the wall that separated their small cubicles.

“Gimme a sec to finish this sentence, Quinn,” she replied, busily typing away her latest article on Parisian fashion. When she was finished, she pulled her hands into her lap and looked up at her friend. “Sorry. Now what were you saying?”

Quinn rolled her eyes, but repeated her offer for lunch. Smiling, Jeanna saved the draft of her article and collected her purse. Quinn pulled her reading glasses off her face and disappeared into her cubicle to gather her things as well.

Together, they made their way through the busy office building and to the elevator. An angry looking, middle-aged blonde stormed past in a blur of oranges and yellows, and Jeanna and Quinn agilely dodged her. Their boss, nicknamed Cruella de Ville, was especially evil and cranky lately since the magazine's biggest publication of the season was coming up.

“We're meeting Eileena and Susan at Applebee's.” Quinn said, as they entered the evelator and punched the button for the first floor.

“Okay. I could really use some time out with the girls. Risa's been driving me bonkers. Her recital is coming up next week, so she's been practicing at home a lot more. She's broken two vases and a picture frame bouncing all over the sofa, too,” Jeanna complained, shaking her head.

Quinn laughed. “Just be thankful you don't have a son. Ryan is like that all the time. What day is her recital? Ryan and I would love to come! You know, he refers to Risa as his 'girlfriend'.”

“It's the June 28th at six o'clock,” Jeanna replied grinning. Ryan and Risa were two peas in a pod. They were the same age and went to the same daycare, which led to having often play-dates.

“We'll be there,” she smiled. The elevator doors ding-ed open and the pair filed out, weaving their way through the ever busy New York streets to the Applebee's a few blocks down at Time Square. “Eileena just texted me. They're on the third floor,” Quinn said, leading Jeanna up the stairs.

“Jeanna! Quinn!” Eileena exclaimed from their table, waving the the pair over.

Jeanna grinned and made her way over to her girlfriends, taking a seat next to Eileena. Quinn sat on the opposite side next to Susan and unfolded her menu. “Is it too early to order a cocktail? I feel like I really need one. I haven't been able to catch a break with Cruela de Ville today,” Quinn said, making everyone laugh.

“Oh,” Susan perked up beside Quinn. “I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you that I had invited an old friend to lunch today. I saw her this morning for the first time in years. She's just at the stairs with her boyfriend.” She stood up and waved at her friend, a girl in a yellow sundress with short red hair. “You came!” Susan smiled and engulfed her friend in a hug. Jeanna awkwardly buried herself in the menu. Why did she look so familiar? “Guys, this is Jacqui and her boyfriend...” Susan trailed off, not knowing her friend's boyfriend.

“Aaron,” he clarified, sticking his hand out for a shake. Jeanna's head popped up, and she came to face Aaron Tveit. Then it all clicked. She was the girl he had cheated on her with three years ago. She felt the color drain from her face and the room started to spin. “Jeanna? Hey!” His voice was fuzzy. This sight was a stab in the back.