Chapter Eighteen

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Jeanna watched the bronze arms move around the clock’s face above the door. She twisted the paper in her hands, ripping it into shreds on her lap. Was she making the right decision? Because it was almost too late to turn back. The loud clatter of blocks falling over caused Jeanna to snap her head around to where Risa was playing on the office’s toy mat area.

“Reese-Cup, don’t knock things over. You have to be quiet,” Aaron said, taking a seat in the floor next to her. He picked up a few of the wooden blocks and started arranging them in a different order.

The sight of Aaron with Risa warmed Jeanna’s heart each time. She swallowed the lump that was building in her throat and blinked back a few tears. Of course, this was the right thing to do. She collected the scraps of torn paper from her lap and gracefully stood to drop them in a waste basket.

“Look, Mommy! It’s a castle!” Risa exclaimed, demonstrating her tower-like edifice.

Jeanna grinned. “Where’s your princess? You know there always has to be a princess in the castle!” She giggled taking a seat in the chair directly behind Aaron. He leaned back on her legs and she combed her fingers through his perfect golden locks.

“Mr. Tveit and Ms. Martin?” The conversation was interrupted by the receptionist calling their names. “Mr. Sullivan will see you now.”

“Whoops, let’s put the block up now Reese,” Aaron said, helping her toss the blocks back into the tub hurriedly.

Jeanna led the way back into the attorney’s office, Aaron and Risa close behind. The lush carpet of the room and the mahogany features gave the office an inviting feeling, but didn’t help settle Jeanna’s nerves at all. Technically, they didn’t have to see an attorney to change Risa’s name, but it never hurt to make sure all the “t’s” were crossed and “i’s” dotted.

“Ms. Martin, I presume?” spoke an older gentlemen with greying sideburns. He smiled, crinkles forming around his lit up green eyes. “It’s so nice to meet you.”

Jeanna returned his handshake. “Likewise,” she smiled.

“Mr. Tveit, delighted. And you must be the beautiful Risa!” Mr. Sullivan spoke, smiling at her in Aaron’s arms.

“Please, sit. This shouldn’t take up too much time unless you two have any questions.”

~*~

“So, my name is Risa Tveit now?” Risa asked seriously later that night when Jeanna was tucking her in.

“That’s right, Baby. Just like your daddy’s,” she grinned, kissing her forehead.

“But why can’t it be like yours?” Risa argued, her eyes full of curiosity.

“Because babies usually have the same last name as their daddies.” Jeanna and Aaron had tried to explain this to her before, but both had failed at giving the child clarity.

“Will your name change, too?”

Jeanna laughed. “Your daddy and I would have to get married for it to do that, Risa Bug.”

“Well, are you and Daddy going to get married, like Amy? Can I be your flower girl, too?” The excitement lit up Risa’s face.

“No, honey,” Jeanna frowned. “I don’t think Daddy and I are going to get married. You just focus on being the best flower girl Amy has ever seen! But for now, get some sleep and I’ll see you bright and early in the morning!” Jeanna placed another kiss on her daughter’s cheek before standing up. “Goodnight, Baby. I love you. Sleep tight.” She turned off the light and left the room.