Jewellery Shops and Shoulder Stuff

“DUDE! SLOW DOWN! WE HAVEN’T TOLD YOU WHY WE’RE GOING UP HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!” I shout at Charlie's back. We’re halfway up the hills and Charlie seems to not notice that I’m not there. Meanwhile, Jess is talking to the teenage girl, who was holding hands with the guy next to her. Well...that’s nice...

 For the last hour, Charlie has been running up the hills with me on his back, as if I don’t weigh anything, which scares me, because I eat heaps. Anyway, everyone behind us has a hard time keeping up with us. There is no point in telling him to slow down. I sigh.

 “Do you need a break?” I ask, more towards annoyed than concern. He bends down, waiting for me to jump. I slide off, forgetting that I can’t move my legs. I hit the ground with a thump, rolling on my side. Jess runs up to me, as well as Charlie. The lovebirds behind us are busy making out.

 “Good god, Sam, are you OK?” Jess looks down at me, worrying. Charlie had sympathy in his eyes. At the moment, I really didn’t need sympathy. We just needed to get that orb, which was at least 30 mins away, and drop it off somewhere.

 “I’m fine Jess, I just can’t move my legs.” I reply with a small smile.

 “No.” Jess replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm as she rolled her eyes. I laughed and Charlie started to carry me again. I was in piggyback position on his back, though it hurt my legs as his arms were around them instead of my legs staying straight like they were before. Jess could see me flinching and started to yell at the guy.

 “DUDE! PUT HER OVER YOUR SHOULDER! SHE’S DYING HERE!” He turned his head to see my face. I was frowning, but that was because Jess was over-exaggerating. He turned his head back to the front. He helped me get over his shoulder and he started walking again. I closed my eyes and tried to drift off to sleep, but I kept failing because of the noise in the background. I took out my ipod, which just happened to be in my jacket pocket (THANK NANDOS I’M A SMART PERSON) and started listening to the Doctor Who soundtrack. I switched the song to the Doomsday song, when Rose got trapped in a parallel universe forever. I started to relax and drifted off.

                                                                                                                                                                                                   *

 “SAM! WAKE UP! WE NEED YOUR HELP FOR THIS PART!” a voice yelled in my ear. Why do I get a feeling that the only person in the world (Jess) would do that? I fluttered my eyes open, only to see Jess and Charlie in my face. My earphones were all tangled up around my chest. I put them back in my pocket, along with my ipod. I slowly tried to stand, but Jess shoved me back down. I remembered, Oh yeah, I can’t walk.

 “What part? Why can’t you let me sleep? Why Jess? Why?” I started asking tiredly. Thanks Jet lag.

 Because, the old guy pointed at you and we’ve been trying to wake you up for the past 5 minutes,” she replied, pointing at my face. I felt it. It was wet. On the bright side, at least I wasn’t wearing make-up. I looked past Jess. There was an old guy with a beard as long as Dumbledore's or Gandoffs, whichever one is easier to think of.

 “Right, old guy,” I mumbled, trying to stand up, and sitting back down again. WHY IS THE FACT THAT I CAN NOT WALK SO EASY TO FORGET?!

 “No, no, no, no, no, dude, you can’t walk, why do you keep forgetting?” Jess pointed out.

 “Dude, I just mentally scolded myself about forgetting that,” I replied in an annoyed tone. Just because I’m crippled doesn’t mean that I’m completely and utterly helpless. I still have some dignity...wait...no, I don’t actually, I lost that in year 9.