Chapter 1 - Isabelle

Chapter 1 – Isabelle

Excitement flutters in her stomach like butterflies, wiping her petite hands on her jeans she nibbles on her bottom lip, green eyes encompassed by long black eyelashes flicker back and forth checking over the words staring back at her, the summary of her first novel.

A finger with the nail chewed from nerves and chipped black nail polish hovers over the mouse, if she presses that submit button there is no turning back. In two days she will get an answer back on whether, she is part of the biggest writing competition of all time. By pressing submit she could have her story published and a deal for two more.

Her luminous green eyes read the words that have caused many a sleepless night until they reached paper. Isabelle knew every word without even needing to glance once at the screen, they had been circling her head for nearly 12 months, up until now just seemed to be a pipe dream, lacking the courage to finish it. Not this time, this time she was going to do it.

Holding her breath she pressed her finger onto the mouse with more force then necessary sending the mouse flying, hands shaking Isabelle giggled nervously and bent down to grasp it. Sitting back up, she gasps as her eyes landed on the screen that held the notification of a successful submission.

Running a clammy hand through her raven black hair, Isabelle slowly stood up and shut her computer down. Glancing over at the calendar, sighing she knew the next two days would feel like weeks. Jumping at the sound of the overly obnoxious ringtone, one that only her best friend would set. Shaking her head Isabelle picks up the phone and answers.

"Hello." She mumbles.

"Did you do it?" A voice demanded through the phone.

"Hello to you too Paige, I am good and you?" Isabelle smirks.

"Yeah, yeah well?" Paige demanded impatiently.

"Yes." Isabelle whispered

"Belle, you can't keep doubting...wait what? Did you say yes?" Paige exclaims shocked.

Isabelle giggles at her friends shock, "I did it Paige."

"Oh, I am so proud of you." Paige squeals through the phone. "Well, send it through I want to read it."

"Uh uh, no way." She giggled. "You know you can't read it till I am done."

Paige sighed and grumbled. "Fine, but girly you need to have more confidence in your writing. I have to go anyway, chat laters, bye."

Isabelle smiled and clicked the end button and flopped back against her bed and stared up at the blank ceiling. Her eyes suddenly felt like they were lead weights, exhausted Isabelle felt herself sink into a deep sleep.

Her raven hair shone in the moonlight, as she stared out over the glassy lake. The water ripples the only means to show it was in fact water and not a mirror. A rustling noise made her turn to stare at, him. Gasping she bowed down and didn't dare look up again. She heard footsteps and two shiny black shoes came into view.

"Oh, beautiful girl please do not bow down to me. Please rise." The husky voice pleaded.

Raising her eyes to stare at the beauty before her, she felt her cheeks become red. "But, you are a duke and I am just"

"You are just beautiful." The duke grabs her hand and kisses it before pressing it to his cheek.

"Why thank you, your duke...um your highness?" The duke laughed at her uncertainty and shook his head.